Cougars fall in quarterfinals of AAC Tourney

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_3638

Junior guard Damyean Dotson was a leader for the Cougars with 16 points and four rebounds, but it wasn’t enough as UH fell to Tulane, 72-69. | File photo/The Cougar

The No. 2 seed Cougar men’s basketball team suffered a heart-breaking loss in their first game of the American Athletic Conference tournament, after a last-minute three pointer sealed a 72-69 win for the Tulane Green Wave.

While the Cougars came in with high-hopes of making a deep run into the AAC tournament, they saw their hopes broken after being outscored 44-33 in the second half.

Sophomore guard Rob Gray, Jr. led the way for UH with 17 points and two rebounds, while junior guard Damyean Dotson collected 16 points, four rebounds and a block.

Three other Cougars, freshman guard Galen Robinson, Jr., senior guard LeRon Barnes and senior forward Devonta Pollard each also reached double digit points.

The Cougars shot better overall from the floor, 44.4 percent compared to 42.6 percent field goal percentage and 47.1 to 14.3 percent from the three-point line. But Tulane made the most important shot, a game-winning three, just their second three-pointer of the game.

As has been common for UH this season, the Cougars struggled with free throws, going 13-26 from the line, shooting 50 percent.

The Cougars also got outrebounded by the Green Wave, 40-33, including 14-10 on the offensive glass.

Sophomore forward Dylan Osetkowski led Tulane statically, pouring in 18 points and grabbing eight rebounds.

The Cougars will now wait to see if they receive an invitation to any post-season tournament.