Baseball, track, tennis highlight end of break schedule

While students begin to slowly repopulate campus with spring break drawing to a close, several programs will look to pick up momentum as their seasons continue. Baseball, track, tennis, softball and women’s golf are all in action this weekend.

Baseball

No.19 UH baseball will continue its nine-game home stand and look to continue recent success when it welcomes Grand Canyon University to Darryl & Lori Schroeder Park this weekend for a three-game series.

The Cougars have won six of their last seven games and should fare well in this home stretch as they have gone 7-2 at home thus far.

After game one was rained out on Friday, the series will start with a double header on Saturday, with games at 2:30 and 6:30.

Track & Field

Just over two weeks removed from a Men’s American Athletic Conference Indoor Championship, the Houston Cougar men’s and women’s track and field teams turn their sights to the outdoor portion of their 2015-16 schedule at the UTSA Invitational March 18 to 19 in San Antonio.

Friday saw a number of strong finishes on both the men’s and women’s sides, with freshman Nora Monie placing first in the discus in her first outdoor event of her career.

Saturday’s action features the remainder of the field events beginning at 11 a.m., with the men’s pole vault, women’s high jump, men’s shot put and men’s and women’s long jump. The gun will sound on the first running event of the afternoon, the women’s 4×100-meter relay at 2 p.m., with a rolling schedule of running events to follow.

In total, 24 Cougars will make their outdoor debuts at the season’s first outdoor meet of the year.

Women’s Tennis

While on a five-game losing streak, the women’s tennis team will look to get back on track this weekend against conference foe Southern Methodist University. Luckily for the Cougars, the Mustangs will also enter Saturday’s contest in the midst of a cold stretch, as they have lost their last five matches.

The Mustangs are 8-6 overall but have an unblemished 8-0 record in Dallas where the Cougars will play Saturday at 1 p.m.

Softball

Houston softball is set to host Oklahoma State for a three-game series this weekend at Cougar Softball Stadium.

Both the Cougars and the Cowgirls enter Saturday’s doubleheader at 11-11 and will be looking for the upper hand. Saturday’s action starts at 4 p.m. and the series concludes Sunday with a noon first pitch.

The last time the two faced off was a doubleheader in 2013 where the Cougars prevailed in both games.

Women’s Golf

The last time the UH women’s golf team saw action, it swept the team and individual titles with impressive final-round performances at the UNF Collegiate. Now they will look to build on that tournament win with another.

The Cougars will travel to Baton Rouge, Louisiana to compete in the LSU Tiger Classic. The tournament kicks off Sunday and will wrap up Tuesday.