Golf Sports

Men’s golf tees off for 36 holes on Monday

The men’s golf team tees off at Valspar Collegiate Invitational on Monday in a tournament that will prove highly competitive for the Cougars.

Of the 15 teams participating at the event, including the 36th-ranked Cougars, all of them are in the top 50 teams nationally, including four teams in the top 10.

The Cougars are on a bit of a hot streak, earning top-two finishes in both of their last two tournament appearances, including first place at the Colin Montgomerie Invitational.

Eight Cougars will compete at the Valspar Collegiate Invitational, five as a team and three more as individuals.

Seniors Blair Hamilton and Vincent Martino, redshirt sophomore Papito Gonzalez and sophomores Michael Perras and Alan De Bondt are grouped to participate for the Cougars as a team while redshirt sophomore Joshua Gibbons and red-shirt freshmen Logan Davis and Carson Cavner will play as individuals.

Their last time out, the Cougars finished in second place at the Border Olympics, with a team score of -12 under par, just eight strokes behind the winning 26th-ranked Baylor University.

Perras earned a tie for second place after two rounds, shooting -7 under par, with Hamilton and Gonzalez each earning top-10 finishes at tied for 6th and tied for 8th respectively.

The Cougars will play 36 holes on Monday in the Valspar Collegiate Invitational before finishing up on Tuesday with the final 18. Golfers tee off at 8 a.m. Monday at the Floridian National Golf Club in Palm City, Fla.