Activities & Organizations News

Frontier Fiesta’s final day brings in variety of performers

Frontier Fiesta began its final day with events and activities to be enjoyed by the entire family.

Children bounced from moonwalks to rides, but at 12:30 p.m., some families made their way to the Bud Light Stage, where the Council of Ethnic Organizations’ Cultural Showcase began.

Energy-filled performers danced to a music type known as Garba.

Smiles never left the faces of the student-performers as they executed high kicks, spins and jumps in yellow and red traditional costumes to represent their theme of firefighters.

The group, Roarin’ Raas, competes nationally and urged the audience to come support their group at the Raas All-Stars National Championship on April 23 at the Cullen Performance Hall.

They were followed by the country singer, songwriter and guitarist Dylan Kubala.

Kubala preformed covers of country songs such as “I Can Still Make Cheyenne,” “12 Gauge” and “Cruise” but also made sure to include T-Pains’ “I’m in Love with a Stripper” and a song he wrote alongside his sister.

Kubala didn’t fail to include a small but enthusiastic audience in his performance.

“I like that he talked to the audience and took song requests,” information and logistics technology senior Rashid Abioye said.

At 3 p.m., a local indie and alternative rock band, Satellite Brigade, took the stage.

The three-piece band, composed of Ramses Garza on vocals and guitar, David Garza on bass and Jordan Yeh on drums, performed seven songs.

Of the three band members, two are UH alums and one is a current UH student.

Tony Hernandez, a mechanical engineering sophomore, said he enjoyed the music and he liked their unique sound.

“It’s very soothing. I heard it from way over there and decided to come listen,” Hernandez said.

The band said they enjoyed playing at the event and hopes to be able to perform at Frontier Fiesta again next year.