Weekend preview: Four teams fight to make it to postseason

WEB-Justin-Cross_DSC8402

Cougar softball team will take on the University of Arizona Wildcats this weekend as it continues to play for a post-season spot. | Justin Cross/The Cougar

It’s another packed weekend for the Cougars as four teams compete to keep postseason hopes alive as they delve deeper into the meat of the schedule. The baseball, softball, tennis and track teams will all try to capture victories this weekend.

Baseball

The No. 24 Cougars dropped nine spots in the standings after losing two of three games against East Carolina University last weekend. Coming off a 4-1 loss to McNeese State University on Tuesday, they will look to rebound against American Athletic Conference foe University of Central Florida for a three-game series at Darryl & Lori Schroeder Park.

The series begins Friday at 6:30 p.m. with game two Saturday at 6:30 p.m. and wraps up Sunday at 1 p.m. A sweep would provide big momentum as they head to Constellation Field in Sugar Land next Tuesday for a match-up against University of Texas at Austin.

Softball

Entering the weekend after a 4-1 victory over McNeese State Wednesday, the 18-18 Cougars travel to Tucson, Arizona for a three-game series against the No. 18 University of Arizona Wildcats. Their second straight weekend on the road, the Cougars will look to pull off an upset before coming home for a five-game homestand against Baylor University and UCF.

The series against Arizona starts Friday at 8 p.m. with game two kicking off Saturday at 8 p.m. and the series finale Sunday at 1:30 p.m.

Tennis

The Cougars finish up regular season play with matches against the University of Tulsa and University of North Texas over the weekend. Despite staggering to a 5-16 record, a strong finish would give them plenty of momentum as they head into AAC tournament play beginning April 20 in Memphis, Tennessee.

The Cougars welcome Tulsa for an 11 a.m. match Saturday at the Houston Country Club and will finish the regular season off against UNT at noon Sunday at the John E. Hoff Courts.

Track and field

After a record-setting weekend, the Cougars return to action Saturday as they head to Waco for the Baylor Invitational. Junior distance runner Brian Barraza, fresh off breaking the 56-year-old school record in the 10,000-meters, was named the AAC Athlete of the Week.

The all-day event is scheduled to begin at 11 a.m. with the men’s hammer throw and the women’s javelin and the 3,000-meter steeplechase kicking off the running events at 3 p.m.