Softball Sports

Softball hosts UCF to end five-game home stand

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_4452 (1)

The Cougars pulled an upset over the Baylor Bears after a pair of home runs, including a grand slam. | Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

The softball team continues its five-game home stand with a weekend series against the University of Central Florida Knights.

The Cougars are 19-22 overall and 2-4 in American Athletic Conference play, while the Knights enter with a 27-14 record and a perfect 4-0 record in the AAC.

The team is coming off a double header against the 19th-ranked Baylor University Bears, where it split the pair of games.

After dropping the first game by a score of 4-0, the Cougars roared back with an 8-5 win in the second game, powered by the offense of senior first baseman Courtney Klingler.

Klingler launched two home runs in the game, including a grand slam. She went 2-3 from the plate, recording six RBI and scoring two runs, while sophomore second baseman Kaylin Crumpton and freshman right fielder Elise LeBeouf added one RBI each.

Freshman pitcher Savannah Heebner pitched 5.1 innings, allowing five runs on nine hits, but picked up the win, with senior Julana Shrum picking up her first save of the season.

UCF comes to Houston holding a three-game win streak with a series sweep over the University of Tulsa last weekend.

The Cougars and Knights begin play on Monday at 5:30 p.m., with the second game scheduled for first pitch at 2 p.m. The series ends with a match on Sunday at noon.