Softball Sports

Softball looks to continue success against East Carolina University

WEB-Robyn-Archer-052

The Cougars look to continue causing havoc on the base paths against ECU. | Robyn Archer/The Cougar

With the season winding down, the softball team will travel to Greenville, North Carolina for a three-game weekend series against the East Carolina University Pirates.

At 20-24 and having just nine American Athletic Conference games left, the softball team needs a series win in order to climb in the standings.

Last weekend, the Cougars split a double-header with the No. 19 Baylor Bears by winning the second game 8-5. Senior Courtney Klingler carried the team with two home runs and six RBI.

Freshman Savannah Heebner was named on the AAC Honor Roll this week after going 2-0 on the mound and hitting .400 at the plate last week.

Senior Katie St. Pierre has wreaked havoc on the base paths this year by stealing 16 bases. With 61, St. Pierre has now tied the school record for career stolen bases. The senior outfielder has reached base in 43 of the Cougars’ 44 games.

ECU enters the weekend matchup sitting at 20-27, but just 2-10 in AAC play. The Pirates have lost 14 of their last 16 games.

Friday’s matchup will be the 45th tilt between the Cougars and Pirates, with Houston winning eight of the last 10 games. The Cougars lead the all-time series 29-15 over the Pirates.

First pitch is scheduled for 5 p.m. on Friday at ECU Softball Stadium.