Baseball Softball Sports Tennis Track & Field

Track and field highlight Cougars’ busy weekend

Day two of the American Athletic Conference Outdoor Track & Field Championships at the George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex at Storrs, CT on Friday May 15, 2015. Ben Solomon/American Athletic Conference

First-place finishes lead both track and field teams to a successful weekend. | File Photo/The Cougar

The Houston baseball, softball and tennis teams struggle to find wins as they combined to finish 3-5 this weekend. The Cougars’ track teams were the only bright spot as they came away with first-place victories.

Baseball

After their midweek game against the Texas A&M — Corpus Christi Islanders was postponed, the Cougars returned to action for a series against the University of South Florida Bulls at Darryl & Lori Schroeder Park.

In the first game, the Cougars won 5-1 behind junior pitcher Andrew Lantrip, who made his 10th start of the season on Friday. Lantrip recorded his fifth win of the season while striking out nine and allowing just one run.

The Cougars lost the next game 4-1, which put them into a last-place tie with the Bulls in American Athletic Conference standings. The deciding game was postponed due to weather.

The baseball team is now 4-7 in the AAC and 21-16 overall.

Softball

The Cougars traveled to Greenville, North Carolina to take on the East Carolina University Pirates in a three-game series.

The Cougars won the first game 9-0 before dropping the next two 7-6 and 2-0.

The Cougars are set for a five-day break before heading to Storrs, Connecticut to play the University of Connecticut Huskies in a three-game series. The Cougars are one game ahead of the Huskies for fifth place in the AAC.

The Cougars are 4-8 in conference play and 21-26 overall.

Track & Field

In their first home meet in eight years, the Cougars’ men and women’s track and field teams finished first overall at the Carolyn & Ron Yokubaitis Invitational here at UH.

The Cougar men finished first overall in nine of 18 events and finished in the top three in 14 of the 18 events. The men’s team finished with 195 points overall.

The Cougar women swept both relays, winning the 4×100 in 45.02 seconds and the 4×400 in three minutes and 42.10 seconds. The women’s team finished in the top three in 15 of 18 events and scored 183 points overall.

The men’s and women’s track and field teams will compete again on Thursday at the Penn Relays in Philadelphia.

Tennis

The Cougars traveled to Memphis, Tennessee for the AAC championship tournament on Thursday.

In their first round, the Cougars upset the University of Central Florida Knights 4-0, which set up a second-round match against the No.1 seed University of Tulsa Golden Hurricane. UH went on to lose the semifinal against Tulsa 4-2.