Features Spring Finals Edition

Finals Playlist: Balance the brain with past and present

Greenday2010

It’s definitely that time of year again. Classes are coming to a close, students are freaking out and professors are dreaming about summer.

Before the fun can begin, there’s one more hurdle to jump. That’s right, I’m talking about finals. Although most students have been working hard all year, it’s the finals that will make or break their effort.

Don’t worry, The Cougar is here to help. Here is an awesome playlist we’ve put together to help you through the many hours of studying and even more hours thinking about sleeping.

Green Day – Brain Stew (Insomniac, 1995)

This song is probably one of my biggest motivators while studying. It’s now 21 years old, but it still represents every exhausted college student trying to make it through finals week. This song will make you laugh and keep you driven to study.

Rihanna (feat. Drake) – Work (ANTI, 2016)

If you feel like you’re about to pass out from sleep exhaustion, put this song on to get your spirits up.  While I recommend this song, here’s a word of caution: you will probably be repeating “work, work, work, work” in your head for the rest of the day (or seeing this particular Aussie saying that one word throughout finals week, if not longer). Trust me, though, it’s worth it. Just ask Drake.

Prince & The Revolution – When Doves Cry (Purple Rain, 1984)

With his recent passing, this song is a great way to remember Prince and stay upbeat while studying. This catchy hit was originally featured in a film the legendary musician starred in and is a great example of his work.

Lynyrd Skynyrd – Free Bird (Pronounced ‘Lĕh-‘nérd ‘Skin-‘nérd, 1973)

This song may last your entire study session, but it is one of the best rock songs of all time. Over nine minutes in length, it features killer vocals and multiple great guitar solos that will leave you mellow, eager to study and walk into the exam room with the badassery of a Kingsman agent who once visited a church.

No One Knows – Queens of the Stone Age (Songs for the Deaf, 2002)

This song will not disappoint, and neither will finding out that the backup singer and drummer for this album happens to be Dave Grohl. This song will surely get stuck in your head and you may find yourself singing along to it almost immediately.

Adele – Rolling in the Deep (21, 2011)

If this song about Adele realizing she doesn’t need her man anymore to be happy doesn’t motivate you, you should probably go to bed and give up for there is no way you are passing the finals. On a more serious note, the whole album is made of fire emojis. Listen and be amazed.

Jack Johnson – Banana Pancakes (In Between Dreams, 2005)

How did this get in here? I don’t listen to Jack Johnson, no way! I heard listening to his music is the best way to wind down after a long study session. This song is really catchy and is guaranteed to put you in a good mood.

David Bowie – The Man Who Sold the World (The Man Who Sold the World, 1970)

Another great song to help our generation understand the talent and impact David Bowie had on the music industry. This is one of his most well-known songs and it will have you tapping to the beat as you dash through your finals’ notes.

Jay Z – Lucifer (The Black Album, 2003)

This track is one of my absolute favorites. It features not only great lyrics rapped by Jay-Z, but also a young Kanye West creating the beat. A lot of people forget that Kanye didn’t start out rapping; he first sat behind the glass producing some of the best rap songs of the early 2000s.

Eminem – The Way I Am (The Marshall Mathers LP, 2000)

This song is pretty aggressive, but it’s something students need sometimes. You may need a song like this after you receive your grades, or to alleviate some stress after drowning in your notes. Maybe rap the lyrics while reading and then tear the pages up.

Go nuts, it’s finals.