Special Section Spring Finals Edition

Take a break from finals to experience Houston

USA, Texas, Houston city skyline and motorway, dusk (long exposure)

In Houston, there are myirad ways to forget about studying, from taking in live music to cultural appreciation in the museum district. | File photo/The Cougar

For the record, I don’t condone any of the following in place of studying for finals. However, I do know that some students, myself included, would rather spend their time engaging in more enjoyable activities rather than stressing about an upcoming final.

At UH and throughout Houston, there are endless possibilities for students to avoid the books. Whatever it is you decide to do, have fun and don’t let the stress of finals overwhelm you.

Music

When it comes to live music in Texas, Austin might get the most attention, but the Houston live music scene is vastly underrated. From local to national acts, Houston has a sound for everyone.

Houston’s unique venues such as Walter’s and House of Blues will host a variety of prominent groups throughout the week.

I recommend heading to Warehouse Live, where metalcore bands Memphis May Fire and We Came As Romans will be taking the stage on Wednesday. On Sunday, the joint will welcome hip-hop outfit Flatbush Zombies.

There are also plenty of smaller clubs like the Continental Club, Rudyard’s Pub, AvantGarden and Dan Electro’s Guitar Bar that play everything from folk and blues to indie. The shows are usually free.

If you plan on taking a break from finals and are going to be on campus anyway, you might as well go support the teams that are competing at home this week.

The Cougars softball and baseball teams will both host the University of Memphis for three-game series starting Friday and wrapping up Sunday.

The Houston Astros will be at home this week as well when they take on the Seattle Mariners in a four-game division series. Tickets are starting at $6.

The Houston Dynamo also have a home game this weekend against Sporting Kansas City on Saturday, with BBVA Compass Stadium just a short ride down the METRORail from Campus.

Although the Houston Rockets were eliminated from the playoffs, there is still plenty of National Basketball Association action to be seen. Also, the National Hockey League Stanley Cup Playoffs are happening and the Dallas Stars, the only Texas team, will be playing in the second round.

Culture

A good way to feel guilt-free about a lack of studying for finals is by gaining knowledge through art and culture.

Head to the Museum District where some of the museums offer free admission on Thursdays. Take note of the Museum of Fine Arts, the Houston Museum of Natural Science, the Houston Museum of African American Culture and the Holocaust Museum.

There are also art exhibits throughout the city and on campus that are free to see. The School of Art will be hosting its Annual Student Exhibition at Blaffer Art Museum until May 14.

Outside campus, the Project Row Houses in Third Ward aim to transform the community through the celebration of African-American art.