Political update: Trump safe, Clinton lags, guns inbound

Embed from Getty Images

GOP — Jorden Smith

It’s almost over

After months of honest speculation and crunching the delegate number, Donald Trump is officially going to be the Republican presidential nominee. While the convention is yet to come, after Tuesday’s primaries, the AP reports that Donald Trump has 1,238 delegates, which is one number higher than required to represent the party. It looks like The Donald has finally proved everyone wrong and won the nomination.

Another day, another protest

It wouldn’t be a Donald Trump rally without protesters. At a campaign rally in New Mexico on Tuesday night, protesters interrupted Trump, evicted by police and at one point showed a banner saying “Undocumented, Unafraid.” Outside, the mogul’s opposition destroyed property and assaulted the police. The scene is oddly reminiscent of Trump’s infamous Chicago rally.  Still no word on why these people think that acting like animals is going to make people not vote for Trump.

Going forward

Donald Trump has surpassed the number of delegates needed to be the GOP nominee, but some are saying the nomination process at the GOP Convention in Cleveland won’t be that simple. Trump is still waiting on mainstream Republican support, such as Paul Ryan, to legitimize his campaign while the #NeverTrump movement slowly continues along. If the attack ad on Clinton is any indication of things to come, this is going to be a fun election cycle.

Embed from Getty Images

Democrats — Frank Campos

Still on shaky ground

With the general election approaching, Hillary has yet to focus on Donald Trump. As much as she and the rest of the country claim victory over the Democratic nomination, “That Senator from Vermont” just won’t go away. Although his chances of winning are still slim, he is showing that Hillary can be beat head-to-head.

Damning letters

Clinton’s camp received more bad news today as the State Department’s inspector general released its report regarding her email practices. The document will add to the FBI investigation and give Trump more than enough fuel to attack Clinton and the Democratic party.

One way out

If Clinton can manage to leave Sanders behind and start attacking Trump, she can display a more human side and take advantage of how Americans perceive Trump in a less favorable light than her.

Hot Topic: Campus carry at UH

Screen Shot 2016-05-26 at 7.00.57 PM

The University of Houston System Board of Regents recently approved the final copy of campus carry and it is now waiting approval from President and Chancellor Renu Khator. The biggest question, as August approaches, is whether students are ready…

As we step closer to the implementation of campus carry on UH, more people have brought up questions about whether this policy is actually going to help protect the campus, or — in the words of the anti-campus carry advocates — end up killing people.

Now, I see campus carry as a wholly good thing for the campus. Mass shootings happen around the country all the time. I think it’s a good idea to let the good guys have guns.

Though it may be hard to believe if you pay attention to the news, people with concealed handgun licenses have stopped shooters before. Saying that students are the ones getting CHLs is a little misleading; you have to be over 21 and meet other requirements to even have the chance obtaining a CHL.

I plan to get a CHL when I turn 21 because I trust myself much more than the guy with schizophrenia.

So, Frank — the Ginsberg to my Scalia — I’ll ask you a few, important questions: When has a gun free zone ever stopped a shooting? How will barring law-abiding, mentally sane citizens stop a shooter if, and I pray never, a shooter comes to campus? How do you get a CHL?

Finally, no moral arguments, please. Many times progressives love to attach a morality argument to make people feel bad instead of actually discussing the merits of the law. Good luck!

—Jorden Smith

The problem with your statement is that we are talking about 21-year-old “adults.” Sure, it’s three years older than 18, but you are not really suggesting that most 21 year olds could handle a mass shooting or hostage situation?

Sure, the CHL training will teach you how to shoot, but no way does it prepare a person for such a high-stress scenario. These young college kids learned quickly that it is not just “point and shoot.”

I am a six-year Army veteran and I am pro-gun ownership, but I draw a line when a law meant to protect people puts guns into hands that are untrained under duress. You see Jorden, my argument isn’t about morals. It’s about common sense.

Truth is, I don’t know what the right answer is to defend ourselves against this danger that has become more and more apparent every day. I do know the wrong answer, though: Giving guns to 21 year olds and asking them to make a judgement call.

Frank Campos

Opinion editor Frank Campos and columnist Jorden Smith can be reached at [email protected]

• It’s funny that when a conservative wants to hear the rationale for being anti-campus carry they dismiss morality, and yet when it comes to matters of LGBT rights and abortion it’s all about their morality being assaulted.

Also, to give context to how out of touch the legislators are with the people this legislation is actually affecting, Attorney General Paxton has come out and said that our policy defies the spirit of Campus Carry because it bans guns in dorms which house an overwhelming majority of under 21 students who can’t have a gun anyway.
    Pure. Genius.

• Organite!!! Stuck on campus in the library? Hmm?

When ISIS starts attacking LGBT people in the US …. you will wish a person with a gun is nearby.

• Jones, are you sure you’re not just like a Colbertesque “conservative”?
        Some of the off the wall stuff you say makes me think you’re just a mega liberal who has been trolling the whole time.

• Organite!!!

Good thing that NO students at UCLA engineering are carrying guns on campus there.

• Too bad the circumstances surrounding why that professor was shot are exactly the kind of qualms people have with campus carry to begin with.

• No, you are a mean, ugly person who doesn’t understand much of anything about guns. Yes, you are a troll. The worst kind because you think you are intelligent when you are seriously lacking in higher cognitive thought in order to rationally break down an argument and construct reasonable solutions to problems. .

• ***DAVID*** … HE SPEAKS!!!

“No, you are mean.” LOL. What an 8-year old you are ***DAVID***. Do you have a manly bone in your body?

You fail to recognize that I toy with you guys just to amuse myself. My friends think you are all jokes … having to go to your personal “safe-spaces” when someone says something that you don’t agree with.

You lead a sheltered life ***DAVID*** … you’re fragile, girly, and have a lack of humor and self confidence. Personally, I feel sorry for you.

***DAVID*** … go back to your Summer safe-space. You are a follower, and have no Right to be writing me with no more than your usual one-word post …. ***TROLL***.

• Organite!!! Just twelve days ago I wrote …. “When ISIS starts attacking LGBT people in the US …. you will wish a person with a gun is nearby.”

• Vox calls for riots, shooting down, attacks hurting Trump supporters … normal for SocDems. And only getting started.

Gonna make Trump stronger and stronger.