Baseball Sports

NCAA leaves Cougars out of tournament

A late-season push by Todd Whitting’s Cougars was not enough to earn a spot in regional play | Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

A win was all the team needed on Sunday to solidify a coveted spot in the regional by way of a conference championship, but they instead suffered a crushing 7-2 defeat to the University of Connecticut Huskies and now find themselves on the outside looking in.

Only 64 teams can make the NCAA Baseball postseason, and 31 of those teams qualify by way of winning their respective conference’s championship game. With only 33 spots remaining after conference titles have been decided, the NCAA selection committee must come together to determine the most deserving teams.

Despite winning 36 of their 59 games–a mark better than 22 of the teams competing in this years tournament–the committee did not feel as though enough of the Cougars wins came against formidable opponents.

The Cougars went just 8-10 against ranked opponents, a mark that the selection committee takes into close consideration when deciding teams merit.

Also not helping the Cougars case was losing to opponents such as the University of Texas at San Antonio,  McNeese State University and going 0-4 against the UConn Huskies.

The Rating Percentage Index, or RPI, is an important method of ranking college teams based on a team’s wins and losses while taking into consideration the strength of the opponent. The Cougars finished the season ranked as the 58th team by RPI, which put them right on the bubble. Had Houston been able to scratch together a few more impressive wins or a fewer bad losses, they would likely be preparing for a postseason game this week.

Although not a bad record, 36-23 marks the worst record baseball has had since going 18-35-1 in the 2012 season.

• The problem is that we’re having very inconsistent seasons in a relatively unchanged roster that gives me unease.
      It’s only going to be less consistent with all the seniors on the team graduating.
      That could be a good or bad thing, but I’m hopeful, especially if that Grand Slammin’ Freshman sticks around.

• Disappointing 2016 season, being ranked 9th in preseason polls and not making the regionals…For the sixth straight year the goal is to get to Omaha and making the regionals only twice in that time is frustrating. Very high on this coaching staff but next year is no guarantee that we make the regionals but as always rooting we do…Next years team returns Davis, Wong, Julks, Hollis, Taylor, Reyes as proven position players but losing 5 seniors doesnt bother me but what worries me is that we have 5 junior pitchers that might be drafted shortly by MLB. Keep an eye on the draft because that might determine if we are in a rebuilding mode or not….The best part of 2016 season was beating Texas 3-2, winning the Silver Glove series from Rice, beating Alabama and Baylor 2 out of three games and finishing strong beating Tulane twice in AAC tournament. Good Luck Coogs in 2017!!!

• only two junior pitchers taken in draft so next years pitching staff seems pretty good. anyone know the status of Fletcher?

• lets hope Whitting stays at UH and does not take the Missouri coaching job..remember weve not made it to Omaha yet..get er done