Hofheinz name is a keeper in every way

Embed from Getty Images

After a settlement with the Hofheinz family, bringing the eponymous 8,479-seat multipurpose arena into the 21st century will see UH spending a total of up to $60 million and choosing a new name.

Judge Roy Hofheinz, an alumnus and the Mayor of Houston from 1953 to 1955, will be commemorated for his contributions to the city and the University in four ways: a section of Holman Street in his name, a plaza and a bronze statue across Cullen Boulevard, a dedicated area in the Athletics/Alumni Center and the library’s creation of a special section featuring the judge’s public service documents.

It’s important to show respect to Judge Hofheinz, whose implementation of desegregation served to spare Houston from the racial unrest that plagued the nation then.

The mere fact that UH considered changing the name is a travesty, which was made worse when the Hofheinz family had to sue to get these changes made at the school.

Although UH is making sufficient amendments, it’s hard to forget that the Hofheinz family and the public had to speak out after the renaming debacle came to light.

Before the settlement was made, UH considered their commitment to the Hofheinz family complete.

“The University is grateful for the Hofheinz family’s contributions on behalf of the University, however, in this matter disagrees with its position regarding the duration of the naming rights as well as many of the facts they have alleged,” according to a statement from UH.

Hofheinz’s initial contribution of $1.5 million, which is approximately $8 million today, came at a much-needed time and helped expand the UH from “two-thirds of its current size” to what it is now.

Equally important was his campaign to bring UH into the state system. Currently, state funding supports 22 percent of the University’s yearly budget. Back in 1992, 49 percent of UH’s yearly budget comprised of state funds.

Although it will no longer visible on the pavilion, UH ensures that the Hofheinz name is a part of UH for a long time to come.

It’s nice to see the school put in such a big effort to make the family and their alumnus happy. Without Hofheinz, it would have been difficult for UH to be a fraction of what it is right now.

It is only appropriate to remember such an important person in the histories of UH and Houston. Ultimately, commemoration serves as an important purpose to the students.

Hofheinz serves as an alumnus whose footsteps current students can and should follow. His leadership, moral compass and generosity is beyond admirable.

Through the commemoration, we can pave the way for the future of UH and its students.

Praneeth Kambhampati is an honors biomedical sciences freshman and can be reached at [email protected]