Soccer Sports

Preview: Soccer looks to continue success on the road

WEB-IMG_0624

After earning their first win of the season against Texas Southern University last week, the Cougars hit the road looking to add two more victories to their record. | File Photo/The Daily Cougar

The soccer team will look to extend their winning streak with their next two games against the University of the Incarnate Word on Friday and Texas State University on Sunday.

By earning her first career hat trick last Friday, forward Hannah Dauzat is tied for fifth in the nation in total goals scored. Despite changing positions in the offseason, Dauzat appears to be comfortable in her new role and will look to build upon her stellar start to the season.

Junior Selena Peters recorded two assists on the Dauzat goals, which launches her into 11th place in the nation in total assists. Given that the team lacked chemistry in many of their games last season, Peters will try to continue to use her field vision to open up goals for her teammates.

The Cougars are familiar with UIW, as they were one of the team’s four victories last season. Soccer made it look easy against the Cardinals in 2015 when they dominated them in a 4-0 rout at home — the first matchup between the schools.

Soccer will try to spoil the Cardinals 2016 home opener. UIW got off to slow start last week when they fell to the University of North Texas by a score of 4-0.

After facing UIW in San Antonio, the Cougars will travel north to San Marcos for a matchup against the Texas State Bobcats.

Despite leading the all-time series against the Bobcats 7-2, the Cougars will try to avenge last season’s loss to Texas State. The short turnaround could play a factor in soccer’s stamina inthe Sunday matchup, but the Bobcats will also deal with depleted legs as they are slated to take on McNeese State on Friday night.

A victory on Sunday will not come easy for soccer, as Texas State has been impressive to this point in the season. Before the Bobcat’s Friday tilt, the team is 2-0 with shutouts against Prairie View A&M University and Lamar University.

Kickoffs are set tentatively for 5 p.m. on Friday against the Cardinals and at 1 p.m. on Sunday against the Bobcats.