Soccer Sports

Remarkable performance earns soccer player conference honor

unnamed

Sophomore goalkeeper Rachel Estopare has recorded three consecutive shutouts to start the season. | Courtesy of UH Athletics

After helping her team get off to their best start in nearly four years, a member of the soccer team earned one of the American Athletic Conference’s top honors over the weekend.

Sophomore goalkeeper Rachel Estopare was named the “American Athletic Conference Goalkeeper of the Week” by conference officials on Monday. The award came shortly after she recorded shutouts against the University of the Incarnate Word last Friday and Texas State University on Sunday.

“To be able to get two shutouts on the road is incredible,” Head coach Chris Pfau said in a press release. “Our defenders, midfielders and backs have done a great job limiting teams of scorer opportunities, but when they do get them, Rachel has come up huge.”

This is the first time the red-shirt sophomore has notched this award, but more are in order when looking at Estopare’s performance to this point. Now three games into play, she has yet to surrender a goal this season.

In 290 minutes between the posts, the University of Arizona transfer has recorded nine saves and has played a major role in her team’s 2-0-1 start to the season. The team’s defense has been impressive as a whole, but Estopare’s dominance is the reason for their success.

“She has been a great presence for us in the goal,” Pfau said in a press release. “Having Rachel in the goal has given us confidence to get our backs into the attack knowing that if we do make a mistake, she is back there to protect them.”

After being on the road last weekend, the team returns to the Carl Lewis Complex this Sunday for a matchup against the Samford University Bulldogs.

Kickoff is tentatively set at 1 p.m. on Sunday.