Athletics receives highest financial support in 2016

Embed from Getty Images

UH Athletics broke its record in the amount of funds received — for the seventh time in a row.

Through Cougar Pride, the fundraising body of the University’s athletics department, more than $6.4 million was raised by alumni, fans and students to help fund athlete scholarships across all 17 sports.

Coupled with an increase in support from Nike and a record donation from the UH Board of Regents chair, Tilman Fertitta, the athletics department is enjoying significant financial support from a multitude of sources.

“We have ambitious standards for the Houston Athletics department and our student-athletes, and our Cougar Pride members play a vital role in reaching those goals with their generosity,” Hunter Yurachek, the vice president for intercollegiate athletics, said in a press release.

As the popularity of UH Athletics continues to grow, so has the sum of donations received. According to the press release, the 2016 contribution total is up by $4.7 million from the 2009 mark of $1.7 million.

It is important to note that the numbers do not include funds raised by private donations, capital campaigns or donations to sport-specific giving clubs.

Fertitta solidified the largest donation in school history when he gave $20 million last month to help fund the construction of the Fertitta Center, UH Basketball’s new home, beginning in 2018.

“I just can’t tell you enough how exciting it is to help take our basketball team to the next level,” Fertitta said. “People are going to come in and say, ‘Gosh, what a great facility.’ This is going to be a happening place on our campus again.”

Athletics is also collecting funds from one of the biggest companies in the nation.

Earlier this month, it was reported that Nike more than doubled the amount of money they typically give to UH. The athletics apparel giant will give about $1.3 million to UH Athletics for the 2016-2017 school year.

The number is a stark increase from the reported $500,000 the school received from Nike for each of the last three years.

Counting Cougar Pride, Fertitta and Nike, UH Athletics will collect $27.7 million for ongoing and upcoming athletics seasons.

“Without their support, we could not support our mission of building Champions for Life and reaching the championship levels we strive for,” Yurachek said. “We will always push to reach the highest level of competition, and our Cougar Pride members are an integral part of that push.”