UPDATE: Campus waiting on results of water tests

UPDATE 1:47 p.m.: The University of Houston’s tweeted out that water tests completed by the City of Houston have come back negative on Friday at 1:40 p.m on Thursday afternoon. The tap water on campus is safe to drink.

According to the statement, full operation of on-campus dining services and retail locations will fully resume on Friday morning. Until then, they will continue to operate on  a limited basis for the remainder of Thursday.

—–

The campus’ water is being tested as we speak.

An emergency alert was sent at 4:51pm from the University of Houston Emergency Operations Center, explaining that progress is being made regarding today’s water crisis. Campus water will likely have the green light before tomorrow morning.

“Out of an abundance of caution, until the City of Houston ensures that the water it supplies to the UH Main Campus is safe to consume, we continue to recommend that our campus community avoid drinking tap water on campus,” The alert said. “The lines were flushed overnight, the water was clear this morning, and we are awaiting the results of tests on water samples delivered to both the City of Houston and an independent lab.”

While UH awaits the results of the tests, many restaurants and other food locations’ menus will be reduced or entirely unavailable.

“Food service locations on the UH campus will either remain closed or offer a limited menu,” The alert said.

Students might have to stay away from the tap water, but UH has made some emergency options available.

Massive water tanks can be found in the residential halls, according to the alert. Water bottles have also been delivered to various parts of campus, and there are also the food trucks regularly present around campus.

Even after students and businesses can start using the water again, it might not smell or taste like they prefer.

“Taste and smell are aesthetic qualities, and are not regulated by the Environmental Protection Agency,” Gary Norman, spokesperson for the City of Houston’s Public Works Department, said.

Students can find dining options here: univofhouston.campusdish.com. Continue to check the thedailycougar.com and www.uh.edu/emergency for updates on the water crisis.