The Cougars will meet an old friend in San Marcos

web-justin-tijerina-img_0240

The Cougars will look to beat Texas State for the second-straight year and close in on the all-time series lead. | File photo/The Daily Cougar

UH will head to San Marcos looking for their first road win against the Texas State University Bobcats Saturday.

The Bobcats lead the all-time series 4-2, although the Cougars won the most recent meeting between the teams in last year’s 59-14 thrashing at TDECU Stadium.

During the game last year, then-junior quarterback Greg Ward Jr. scored on six separate occasions, as he threw for four touchdowns and ran for two. Ward combined for 365 all-purpose yards and had an 81 percent completion rate.

Wide receiver Demarcus Ayers caught eight passes and went for 126 yards and two touchdowns.

The UH defense struggled against the pass and gave up 302 yards. They were able to hold the Bobcats’ offense to 99 yards on the ground, though.

The Cougars forced four turnovers, with cornerback William Jackson III leading the team while record a fumble recovery and an interception.

Prior to last year, the teams hadn’t met since 2012 and Texas State gained the upper hand as they walked off with a 30-13 victory.

In that game, the Bobcats jumped on the Cougars’ defense with a high-powered rushing attack. As a team, Texas State amassed 248 yards on 52 carries.

Texas State quarterback Shawn Rutherford led the assault on the UH secondary, connecting with nine different receivers. He finished the game 19-of-25, totaling 196 yards and adding a touchdown.

Behind quarterback David Piland, the Cougars were forced to throw the ball 44 times, but Piland only completed 17 of those.

Running back Charles Sims led all Cougars with 88 all-purpose yards in the game although he failed to find the end zone.

This year, the Cougars come in ranked for the first time in this series and will look to exploit first-year head coach Everett Withers.