Golf Sports

Cougars slip in last day, finish eighth

andersen_allie2

Junior Allie Andersen played all three rounds at par or better and led the Cougars with a seventh-place finish at the Jim West Invitational. | Courtesy of UH Athletics

The UH women’s golf team closed out their third tournament of the fall season with an eighth-place finish at the Jim West Invitational.

The Cougars started the final day of the tournament in fifth place before dropping in the rankings. They finished 5-over par as a team, totaling 869 strokes on the 54-hole course. They had their best outing in round two where they scored a 286 to end the round 2-under par.

University studies junior Allie Andersen bounced back after finishing her last tournament at +14 overall. She led the Cougars with a 213 total score to put her at 3-under par for the tournament.

Andersen finished Monday tied for seventh place at the invitational.

Supply chain logistics and technology senior Emily Gilbreth floated just above par in rounds one and three at 73 but managed to hit par in the second. She came in second for the Cougars and tied for 28th overall after a third-place finish the week prior.

Retailing and consumer sciences junior Ivon Reijers and business administration junior Megan Thothong rounded out the team scoring for the Cougars by hitting a 223 and 224. They both had their best performances of the tournament in the second set.

Reijers shot even par while Thothong finished 1-under.

The Florida State University Seminoles took home team and individual honors. As a team, the Seminoles went 24-under par and beat second-place Kent State University by seven strokes.

FSU’s Matilda Castren won the tournament by going 13-under par and narrowly edging out Kent State’s Pimnipa Panthong.

The Cougars have a bye week before heading to San Antonio to compete in the Alamo Invitational Oct. 23-25.