Health

The importance of eating breakfast

It can be tough to squeeze time into busy mornings to eat breakfast. It’s even more difficult to do so in college.

As a result, it’s not a mystery why many students skip out on the first meal of the day.

Eating breakfast is perhaps one of the most underrated things to do to maintain a healthy lifestyle. 

There are a myriad of reasons to eat breakfast. Having a higher degree of focus is one of the biggest benefits of making time for a morning meal.

Another reason to eat breakfast is that it eliminates the urge to snack throughout the day. Studies have shown that people have a higher tendency to eat unhealthy snacks leading up to lunch to make up for the missed meal.

If you do skip breakfast, there are some healthy snacks that you can eat before lunch. The most effective seem to be almonds. According to studies, people who eat almonds as a pre-lunch snack tend to consume fewer calories during the day than those who don’t.

The main argument for eating breakfast is that it sets the tone for the day. Waking up and getting food in your belly right away is a great feeling most of the time and can do wonders. When you’ve eaten, it’s easier to concentrate on your work and not constantly think about your next meal or what snacks are in the break room.

Other reports even show that if you eat breakfast, you may eat healthier meals throughout the day as well. Of course, this doesn’t mean if you eat begin eating breakfast that you will suddenly become healthier overnight — health choices are long-term ones that yield long-term results.

Nothing about it is easy to maintain.

Changing your morning routine to make adequate time for breakfast can be as simple as waking up just a little bit earlier or finding a healthy option that’s on your way to work or class.

Dining halls on campus open up in time even for those who have 8:30 a.m. classes. They always serve eggs that go very well with some Sriracha hot sauce if you ask me.

If sitting down at a dining hall takes too much time for your busy schedule, McDonald’s or Einstein’s can get you breakfast on the go in a relatively short time.

Still too slow for you? Then there’s always the Cougar Xpress mart. Although not the healthiest option, they offer plenty of breakfast substitute bars or even a quick package of cereal that you can eat on the go or try to quietly eat in class. Just don’t forget to grab a bottle of milk while you’re there to wash it down.

Waking up in the morning is hard, especially when it’s for an 8:30 a.m. class. Yet, try to make time for a small bite the next morning before you head out. You never know when it might help you focus enough to write down some crucial notes that you may have otherwise slept through in class.