Cougars jump two spots in latest AP Poll

webfootball-navid-parsa_19

Freshman running back Mulbah Car was one of two backs who found the end zone against Tulsa. The win helped the Cougars leap two spots to No. 11 in the AP Top 25. | Navid Parsa/The Cougar

After edging out the University of Tulsa 38-31 Saturday, the Cougars moved up two spots in the latest AP Top 25 rankings.

The win pushes the Cougars closer to the top 10, a place where the team was before the loss to the United States Naval Academy. Navy also moved up one spot to No. 24 after making their debut on the list last week.

UH gained 65 points this week, but remain 169 behind No. 10 University of Wisconsin, who dropped their first game of the season in overtime to No. 2 Ohio State University.

The University of Alabama remained on top for the eighth straight week after their convincing 49-10 win over then-No. 9 University of Tennessee. Tennessee fell the most among the ranked teams after losing two straight and now sit at 18.

The University of Michigan Wolverines benefited from a week off from game action as they moved into third place. The Wolverines flipped with Clemson University after the Tigers narrowly escaped North Carolina State University.

The University of Washington and Texas A&M University remained in the fifth and sixth spots after both teams had a bye week.

The University of Louisville also stayed in the same position, but they lost 25 points in the polls following their 10-point win over Duke University.

Two Big 10 schools switched places as the University of Nebraska moved into eighth and replaced Wisconsin.

Baylor University continued its upward trend and moved into the top 10 for the first time this season at No. 9.

The West Virginia University Mountaineers made the biggest leap in the polls, moving up eight spots to No. 12 after a 48-17 win over Texas Tech University.

Florida State University and Boise State University both moved up one spot to 13th and 14th after each won their respective game.

The University of Florida and the University of Oklahoma each jumped three spots. Florida is now No. 15 and Oklahoma is No. 16.

After dropping two of their last three, the University of Arkansas rebounded with a win against the University of Mississippi and ascended to No. 17.

The University of Utah and Western Michigan University round out the top 20.

Auburn University made an appearance in the top 25 last week and continued its climb to No. 21 following their 38-14 victory over Mississippi State University.

The University of North Carolina reemerged onto the list after falling off last week. UNC is 22nd following their 20-13 win over the University of Miami, who dropped off the poll after being as high as No. 10.

The 23rd-ranked University of Mississippi is the only team with three losses in the top 25. All three Ole Miss losses came at the hands of another top-25 team.

Louisiana State University reappeared as well to round out the top 25 after a three-week absence from the list. LSU gives the Southeastern Conference a league-high eight teams among the poll.