Firebomb attack has no place in our election

Embed from Getty Images

The firebombing of the Republican Party office in Hillsborough, North Carolina is an inexcusable affront to the democratic process that Americans love to boast about.

The cherry on top is that there was a swastika spray painted on the side of the structure accompanied with “Nazi Republicans leave town or else.”

It is my sincerest hope that the vandal does not identify with any party. The perpetrator should know that their actions directly impede the process that gives people the ability to choose and support who or what they wish to.

“But wait, a Democratic Party office was vandalized just south of Hillsborough.”

Saying things like the above statement serves no purpose; whom the victim is does not matter. The real tragedy is that this principle gets violated every time an attack occurs. Events like this sow fear, hostility and distrust between Americans.

When voters see something like this happen to the party they align with, it serves as a message that what they believe in and support is under attack.

People react in different ways to this. Some stand tall in the face of uncivil opposition while some abandon what they believe in for fear of being targeted. Others take justice into their own hands and seek retribution.

In a world that seems to be run by fearmongering and hate, standing tall is the only sensible option. No matter what you believe in, stand by it.

In the words of Captain America, “This nation was founded on one principle above all else: The requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth and tell the whole world — ‘no, you move.’”

It is natural for people to disagree about the way that things should be done, especially in politics. However, no one should ever have to be fearful of reprise for what they believe in or support.

Political polarization has never been greater in U.S. politics. There is little to no middle ground left on any legislative topics.

It is growing more difficult to pick and choose between hardline Democrats and Republicans, essentially boiling down to voting for who you disagree with the least.

As Americans, we must take care to never let our disagreements devolve into anything less civilized than words.

Assistant opinion Thom Dwyer broadcast journalism sophomore and can be reached at [email protected]

• While the Leftist Media insisting that Trump’s campaign is hemorrhaging support. We get this.

Firebombing is what the Nazi’s did to shut Jew’s up. I think Trump will gain even more support because of this.