Administration News

Homeland Security Academic Council appoints Khator

ORIGINAL SIZE_Khator

Besides Khator, the other appointee from Texas is Michael Young, the president of Texas A&M University. | Courtesy of UH Media Relations

UH President and Chancellor Renu Khator took yet another step onto the national stage Wednesday.

Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson announced that Khator was one of eight new appointees to the Homeland Security Academic Advisory Council, or HSAAC.

According to UH Media Relations, members of the council have issued more than 120 recommendations in its four-year history. Topics for recommendations include faculty exchanges, cyber security, international students, Department of Homeland Security academic programs and recruitment of graduates.

Khator was inducted for a four-year appointment on the council due to her experience in higher education leadership and UH’s pioneering role in homeland security research.

“What President Khator brings is not only a deep understanding of the issues facing our campuses but also a firm grasp of the mission of DHS through her work at the University of Houston,” said Trent Frazier, executive director of the Office of Academic Engagement, in a news release.

One reason for Khator’s recent appointment is due to UH’s partnership with DHS and other state security agencies.

The University is a leading academic institution for the DHS’ Centers of Excellence, focusing on borders, trade and immigration research. The Center of Excellence concerns research and educational materials, flows of people and capital as well as border security.

The Borders, Trade and Immigration Institute (BTI) at UH was established in 2015 after congressional approval as a result of an $18 million partnership with the DHS.

“The appointment of Chancellor Khator to the HSAAC represents a great honor for UH and a recognition of the significant strengths UH has in the area of Homeland Security,” said Ioannis Kakadiaris, the director of UH’s BTI. “It also means more opportunities and potential for UH to generate synergy among researchers and the homeland security enterprise.”

Khator sees her new appointment as a means to strengthen U.S.’ national security and the University.

“There can be no more important task than maintaining the safety of our country,” Khator said in a news release. “Through research, innovation and workforce development, higher education must continue to play a vital role in helping DHS meet that crucial objective.”