Everyone needs to calm down about Trump

Embed from Getty Images

He really did it — Donald Trump really defied every odd, every poll, every conventional thought and became the president-elect of the United States.

In the year of miracles and upsets, we saw the biggest political upset in all of history. Just to congratulate myself a little: I totally called this.

In the coming days, weeks and years we can break down why Trump won and why Hillary Clinton lost (because she’s a terrible politician). Still, that is for another day.

It’s time to come together and once again be Americans. As poet Langston Hughes put it, “Let America be America again.” E pluribus unum, or “out of many, one.”

No doom and gloom

Since the election ended, however, I have encountered people who are feeling doom and gloom. I have seen those who are viscerally happy and I have seen those who are despondently sad. There has been a backlash on social media from both sides. I have read some terrible things from good people in the past week because they’re angry at the other side.

This is more than a divide between ideologies. This is anger based solely on political ideology between people who used to be friends. I have seen people being called racist, sexist, homophobic and much more simply because they thought one candidate was better than the other.

This is not what we need.

It was extremely disheartening to see this paper publish an article titled, “We are doomed with Trump victory,” which plays into the fearmongering that has sprouted up after it became clear that Trump was going to win.

Not only has the media begun embracing this doom-and-gloom mentality, people have flooded the streets to protest the election results even though nothing will change the Electoral College results.

I did not support Trump nor Clinton. I wasn’t going to be happy either way with who won.

So, for those of you who are despondent or happy, pessimistic or optimistic, remember: Tomorrow the sun will rise, like it always has and always will. The Earth will keep spinning because it always has and it always will.

I know some of you are upset as you feel threatened by a Trump presidency. The world is falling apart around you. Trump is now the commander-in-chief, and it’s because the people voted for the man you despise.

Here’s the thing: Nothing is going to change. We’ve been in this kind of situation before and we will again. The U.S. has been through much worse, and we’ve survived all of them.

Deserves a chance

Trump can’t do impossible things because he’s limited by the system we have set in place. Pence can’t do anything because he’s only the vice president.

Trump is also slowly, but surely, pivoting away from some of the policies he outlined during the primary campaign and the general election.

The world is not going to fall apart, so let’s stop pretending like it’s happening. Gay marriage is not going to be overturned. If you think it is, learn how the court system works and realize that there’s an entire process to go through.

There are not going to be mass deportations or internment camps (like those under Franklin D. Roosevelt presidency) because both ideas are ludicrous, and Trump wouldn’t be able to pull it off.

Finally, think about it, when was the last time a president personally helped you? When was the last time the president actually affected your life? For the vast majority, they won’t be able to remember. Most of the time it’s Congress, your state legislatures, your city government or you.

Stop protesting Trump because, whether you like it, he is the president-elect and will be president. Nothing is going to change that. Let’s at least give him a chance, because we’re all a part of this country. If he fails, we will go down with the ship as well.

If you won’t listen to me, listen to Conan O’Brien or John Oliver. Everything is going to be fine — like it always has.

We need to come together. It is the only way we will continue to survive. To quote the late musician Leonard Cohen, “There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.”

Senior staff columnist Jorden Smith is a political science junior and president of the College Republicans. He can be reached at [email protected].