Basketball advances to semifinals of Gulf Coast Showcase

basketball staff ed pic

Sophomore guard Galen Robinson Jr. recorded 10 assists in basketball’s victory over George Mason University Monday. | File photo/The Cougar

Day one of the 2016 Gulf Coast Showcase got off to an exceptional start for the Cougars as the team advanced to the second round with a 93-56 win over George Mason University Patriots.

The win gives Houston a 2-0 start for the eighth consecutive season.

In Monday’s victory, the Cougars dominated from start to finish on both sides of the ball. Junior guard Rob Gray looked impressive again as he led the team with a 23-point performance.

Gray led the American Athletic Conference in scoring last year with 16 points per game and looks to repeat it by averaging 22.5 points per game early on in this season.

Four other Cougars chimed in with double-digit point totals including Damyean Dotson with 16, Danrad “Chicken” Knowles with 13 and Wes VanBeck who added 14.

VanBeck went 4-for-5 from three-point range despite hitting just 10 shots from distance all of last season.

The Cougars dominated the boards by out-rebounding the Patriots 40-25 Monday. Transfer forward Devin Davis led all Cougars rebounders with 10.

Men’s basketball will take on the University of South Dakota Coyotes in the second round of the Gulf Coast Showcase. South Dakota is coming off of a narrow 80-77 victory over Kent State University in a game that came down to the final possessions.

In their win, the Coyotes had four players tally double-digit point totals with sophomore guard Matt Mooney in the lead with 17.

Junior guard Carlton Hurst proved that he can hurt teams on offense and defense as he earned a double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds.

Regardless of Tuesday’s outcome, the Cougars will wrap up the Showcase with a final game Wednesday.

With a win, the Cougars will enter the tournament championship game at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday. A loss will put them in the third-place game to be played at 5:30 p.m. the same day.

Tip off against South Dakota is scheduled for 7:30 p.m Tuesday.