Gone to Texas: Herman to become next UT head coach

Head coach Tom Herman stressed that every thing is "business as usual" entering the 2016 season. | Reagan Earnst/The Cougar

Herman leaves Houston after just two seasons with the program to become the head coach of the Texas Longhorns. | Reagan Earnst/The Cougar

Update: Defensive coordinator Todd Orlando has been named the interim head coach for the Cougars, according to Joseph Duarte of the Houston Chroncile. 

Fan-favorite former Houston head coach Tom Herman has agreed to become the next head coach of the University of Texas, according to ESPN and other reports.

“In his short time in Houston, Tom Herman elevated the Houston Football program to new heights, and we are grateful for his contributions to our program,” said UH Vice President for Athletics Hunter Yurachek. “The entire University of Houston community wishes he and his family continued success in this new chapter in their lives.”

In two seasons at the helm of the Cougars, Herman earned a 22-4 record including a 6-0 record against AP Top 25 ranked opponents. Herman led the Cougars to a 13-1 record including an American Athletic Conference Championship and an upset of Florida State University in the 2015 Peach Bowl.

Herman replaces former Texas head coach Charlie Strong, who, in three seasons, managed just a 16-21 record. The departure of Herman to Texas has been a topic of speculation for the better part of the season due to the Longhorns subpar season.

Earlier in the week, it was widely reported that Louisiana State University was in negotiations with Herman. However, LSU announced early Saturday that they would opt to remove the interim tag from head coach Ed Orgeron leaving Texas as the lone school in pursuit of Herman.

ESPN’s Sam Khan Jr. reported late Thursday that Houston had offered Herman a 7-digit raise to stay at the University.

Herman began his career at Texas as a graduate assistant under former head coach Mack Brown from 1999-2000 and earned his master’s degree in education from the university.

The hire comes less than 24 hours after the Cougars dropped their final game of the season 48-44 to the University of Memphis Tigers. Herman finishes his career at Houston tied for seventh all-time in coaching wins at the University.

UH President and Chancellor Renu Khator says in a statment that UH Athletics remain committed to tier one excellence through both talent and facilities.

“I am confident we will find the right individual to lead our athletes, leverage the richest recruiting grounds in the country, and continue this upward trajectory,”

Herman declined to comment on the matter following a meeting with his former team around 2 p.m. Saturday.