Sports Women's Basketball

Women’s basketball downs Charleston in Sunday test

print-jusitin-cross-dsc_7291

Sophomore guard Serithia Hawkins contributed 12 points and four rebounds to the Cougars’ win over the College of Charleston Sunday. | Justin Cross/The Cougar

The women’s basketball team improved to 3-4 on the season Sunday when they rolled past the College of Charleston 79-63 at Hofheinz Pavilion.

After a slow start to the season that included a four-game losing streak, the Cougars have now strung together back-to-back victories in the early part of nonconference play.

The Cougars have enjoyed impressive efforts from their freshman so far this season, and Sunday’s win was no different.

Freshman guard Jasmyne Harris notched 17 points thanks in part to an impressive 6-for-8 from the free-throw line. She got things done in defense as well after recording a team-high four steals and four defensive rebounds.

“We’ve been waiting on Jasmyne (Harris),” said head coach Ronald Hughey following the game. “She has shown flashes in practice, and we’ve been waiting on it like crazy.”

The difference in Sunday’s game came down to turnovers.

Houston forced Charleston into 24 turnovers thanks, in part, to the defense’s 12 steals. The Cougars’ smart play allowed Charleston just six free throws on the afternoon opposed to 21 attempts from the line from Houston.

Although the team struggled from the line in the early part of the season, Hughey has prioritized free-throw shooting in practice. Hughey said the team has also implemented a policy requiring players to shoot 200 free throws outside of practice time.

The extra reps paid off Sunday as the Cougars shot 76.2-percent from the line, an improvement from their season percentage of .600.

The Cougars will try to mine their third consecutive win Wednesday in a matchup against the Texas Tech Red Raiders in Lubbock. Tipoff is scheduled for 11 a.m.