Live updates: UH closed Friday as front hits region

With the Houston region expecting winter weather over the next few days, UH is monitoring the cold front that is expected to push wind chills to the low teens.

Along with the chilly weather, the front is hitting with the threat of freezing rain on Thursday night possibly icy roads on Friday morning, according to Houston’s Space City Weather. 

Keep up with the latest on-campus updates here:

7:03 p.m.

UH Emergency Management announced all UH campuses will be closed on Friday due to inclement weather. The University expects to resume normal operations on Saturday.

5:43 p.m.

HCC will be closed through Friday due to inclement weather, and will open Saturday. This is after TSU announced moving to remote operations for Friday.

5:26 p.m.

Houston ISD announced that it will be closed Friday and resume normal operations on Monday. Katy ISD, Fort Bend ISD, Pearland ISD and Alief ISD are among the other Houston area districts that are closing Friday due to inclement weather concerns.

4:52 p.m.

UH Parking tweeted  that the Cougar Ride late-night van service won’t be running after 11 p.m. tonight due to weather concerns.

2:41 p.m.

UH Downtown announced on Twitter that classes will be moved to remote instruction after 5 p.m. today. Friday operations will be updated after further monitoring.

UHD Northwest, Kingwood, and CyFair locations moved online at 2 p.m. and will remain online through Friday.

1:28 p.m.

UH Provost Paula Myrick Short sent out an email advising faculty members to switch to remote instruction if road conditions prevent travel.

She also added that students impacted by the weather should consult the University’s absence policy.

11:41 a.m.

The University of St. Thomas, located less than four miles from UH, will close campus at 4 p.m. Thursday and cancel all remaining classes due to the freezing weather.

All of the school’s Friday classes will be conducted online.

11:10 a.m.

Normal on-campus operations are expected after a winter travel advisory went into effect on Thursday morning, UH said in an emergency alert. Light freezing is expected late Thursday into Friday.

10:29 a.m.

UH Dining announced on Twitter that both the Moody Towers and Cougar Woods dining halls will be closing at 10 p.m. on Thursday and will reopen Friday at 7 a.m.

Moody Towers Dining Commons is normally open 24/7.