Track & Field

Floyd in family’s fast lane

Junior sprinter Kayln Floyd is establishing herself as an all-around threat in a variety of events, following in the footsteps of her family, which boasts a pair of former Cougars. | Courtesy of UH Athletics

People don’t have to look far to see where track standout Kalyn Floyd gets her breakaway speed. She’s just the latest branch to sprout from a family tree rich with talent.

Her father Stanley and sister Ebonie, who qualified for the 2008 Olympic team, both ran at UH. Her mother, Delisa, ran at the 1988 Olympics.

Floyd, a 20-year-old communication junior, came to UH after a successful career at Alief Hastings High School. She also played volleyball but knew early on she had a future on the track.

Now, entering her third year on a young team, Floyd’s teammates consider her a leader.

Prior to becoming a Cougar, Floyd was recruited by Tennessee, Kansas and Baylor, among others, but says UH was a clear choice given her family’s history.

“It felt like home. (Head) coach (Leroy) Burrell is a great coach. He’s very understanding,” Floyd said. “I knew a lot of the people on the team already, so I had chemistry with the athletes before I got here.”

Burrell has expressed confidence in Floyd’s potential to qualify for the NCAA Indoor Championships in either the 200- or 400-meter dash. Floyd, the 2009 Conference USA 200-meter indoor champion, hopes for the same result in the C-USA Indoor Championships this Friday and Saturday at UH.

“If I decide on the 400 or the 200, I want to place top three and run a high 52 (seconds) in the 400 and sub 23 seconds in the 200,” Floyd said.

Floyd hopes to take her success during this indoor season and transition it to this spring’s outdoor season.

“Once we go to outdoor, I think I’m going to drop a fast opening time in both the 200 and 400. So far, indoor, I’ve been running faster than I had outdoor last season,” Floyd said.

Floyd is featured on the 4×400-meter relay team and has the potential to qualify in either the 200- or 400-meter dash. She is still attempting to determine which race she is better at.

“I’m still not sure what I’m strongest in,” Floyd said. “I ran the 200 (Feb. 13) and surprised myself with the time of 23.4 (seconds). I feel like I’m getting better in the 200, but I’m not sure.”

Floyd also hopes to improve upon her start in the 60-meter and is still trying to create the best-possible strategy for the 400-meter.

After running at UH, Floyd has ambitions to follow in her family’s footsteps and run professionally. She said she’s eager for the opportunity to compete against world-class athletes.

“If I could go pro this year then I’d go pro,” Floyd said.

When her running career concludes, Floyd plans to pursue a career in broadcast journalism.

“I’d like to get a job at Turner (Broadcasting) in Atlanta,” Floyd said. “I’d like to work behind the scenes. Anything that has to do with sports.”