Investiture marks president’s installation

UH President and UH System Chancellor Renu Khator was officially inaugurated in front of an auditorium packed with faculty, alumni and students Friday afternoon at Cullen Performance Hall.

At the ceremony Khator, UH’s 13th president and the System’s eighth chancellor, announced four programs she would initiate to aid UH’s bid become Texas’ next flagship institution.

SGA President Sam Dike said he fully supports Khator’s plans for UH, which includes a $100 million fundraising goal for student success and increased collaboration for energy and health research and the arts.

"The biggest benefit is that she’s giving people something to believe in," Dike said. "She’s giving people an opportunity to hope."

Third year pharmacy graduate student Dan Truongle said UH’s transition into a top-tier University would help students infinitely.

"(Making UH a flagship University) would definitely make our degrees worth more," Truongle said.

Finance senior Jared Barbary said innovative research will help UH become more competitive.

"If we discover something new it will really put UH on the map," Barbary said.

History professor emeritus Lawrence Curry, one of the two marshals for the investiture, said UH has a good chance in succeeding in its endeavors.

"Under her leadership (the chances) are better than before," Curry said.

Some students, however, want Khator to focus on the current problems facing students.

"She needs to do something about financial aid," Barbary said. "It seems like every year there is a new problem."

Architecture junior Dan Vo said because UH is a commuter school, Khator should focus on helping students like him.

"I just hate parking," Vo said. "That’s what I really want her to fix."

In an effort to promote fair labor practices at UH, Students Against Sweatshops member handed out anti-sweatshop literature disguised as an investiture program outside Cullen Performance Hall before the ceremony.

"I would like (Khator) to address these issues," sociology sophomore and Students Against Sweatshops member Marianela Acuna said. "We’re just trying to inform students."

Following the inaugural ceremony a reception open to the public was held at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center.

SGA members may have been the only students in attendance at the investiture’s reception except for the few who came to work out and were surprised to find a closed gym.

Barbary, who did not attend, said his reason was that he "didn’t keep up with" the president and the UH System Board of Regents.

Vo, who also did not attend, had a similar reason for not going.

"I don’t really know much about her," Vo said.

But Dike had advice for students who want to get involved and help UH become flagship school.

"The students’ role is to succeed," Dike said. "Students are our greatest ambassadors in the community."