Cougar future looks bright

Don’t be surprised to see the UH women’s basketball team in the 2010 NCAA Tournament.

After this season’s 19-10 campaign, which could result in an appearance in the postseason National Invitational Tournament, Cougars fans have a lot to be excited about. The Cougars started zero upperclassmen this season and were only one win away from a share of the Conference USA regular season title. They are only going to get better.

Head coach Joe Curl was excited about what his team accomplished in a very competitive league. With an extra year under its belts, there is no reason why this team can’t collect 20-25 wins and a trip to the ‘Big Dance.’

Talent Coming Back

Sophomore forwards Courtney Taylor and Brittany Mason are the Cougars’ two deadliest weapons. Taylor, an All-Conference USA First Team selection, commands the attention of every opposing defense (16.6 points per game), but her ability to crash the boards (10.1 rebounds per game) and play lock-down defense makes her one of the nation’s best all-around players.

Taylor does not look as good on defense when compared to the best defender in C-USA, Brittany Mason. Mason covered the opposing teams’ best players every night and was the non-vocal leader of the Cougars’ defense. Her offense still needs work, but she has invested a lot of practice time toward developing her ball-handling and shooting skills. If she continues to work hard, her last two seasons at UH could be special.

Sophomore guard Brittney Scott is the Cougars’ biggest perimeter threat, but lacks consistency. If she can learn to avoid chucking 3-pointers when her shot is not falling (31 percent 3-point shooting in five of UH’s last six games), she can turn into one of C-USA’s premier players.

Freshman guards Porsche Landry and Roxana Button are also key pieces in the Cougars’ future. They had their highs (Landry’s career-high 23 points against North Texas) and lows (Button’s 2-of-10 shooting at Oregon State), but Landry’s quickness and ability to penetrate combined with Button’s outside shooting will give the Cougars a solid backcourt for the next three seasons.

Center Cobilyn Hill experienced a disappointing sophomore slump, but showed flashes of brilliance during the second half of the season. Fans should expect her to enter next season with a ‘disposition to dominate.’ If she is focused, there will be few defenses that will be able to stop her.’

This team is only losing one senior (Zane Jakobsone), so having continuity gives it a great shot to make some noise in 2009-10.