NBA Finals: One ring to rule them all

The NBA Finals finally tip off tonight as the Los Angeles Lakers host the Orlando Magic in Game 1 of the best-of-seven series. It’s not the Kobe Bryant vs. LeBron James matchup that just about everyone – including the NBA – wanted, but this will be a better series to watch.

The Magic flew under the radar this season, despite winning 59 games and the Southeast Division.

The pundits practically gave the Eastern Conference title to the Cleveland Cavaliers after they posted a record of 66-16, but Orlando still showed up and ousted the Cavs in six games. Dwight Howard made his presence felt in the paint, scoring a career-playoff-high 40 points in the clincher.

Can Kobe win a title without Shaquille O’Neal? The answer may lie within how much the Lakers have been tested this postseason. The Houston Rockets took the Lakers to a seventh game without Yao Ming or Tracy McGrady. The Denver Nuggets battled the Lakers in a physical six-game series, frustrating them at every turn.

The Lakers, need Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum to efficiently play against Howard. If so, they might have the formula that won three straight titles earlier this decade.

As the Magic ready for Game 1, it has a few things in its favor. Howard is having the best season of his career, which includes winning the Defensive Player of the Year award. Plus, the Magic won both meetings against the Lakers during the regular season.

When All-Star point guard Jameer Nelson went down with a torn labrum Feb. 2, the Magic looked dead in the water. The Magic said Nelson, who led Orlando in scoring in both wins over the Lakers, is ahead of schedule in his rehab. Magic head coach Stan Van Gundy said Nelson will practice and if healthy, would be available to play in the Finals.

My prediction is Orlando in six games. The 76ers, Celtics, and Cavs have tested the Magic this postseason, giving it enough confidence for one more series.

Orlando won Game 7 on the road against the defending-champion Celtics and silenced a Cavs team that was the overwhelming favorite to get to the Finals. Howard will command double-teams in the post, which will free up the Magic’s long-range shooters to hit treys.

The Finals format also works in Orlando’s favor. If the Magic can win one of the first two games in Los Angeles and defend its home court, they will be in great shape.