ONLINE EXCLUSE: UH Notebook – Hall calls Penders home

Men’s basketball head coach Tom Penders will be inducted into the UConn wing of the Fairfield County Sports Hall of Fame on June 10.

This will be the second honor bestowed on Penders by the hall, as he was a member of its overall 2008 class. This time around, he is being honored with other athletes who grew up in Fairfield County and had successful careers at Connecticut.

Penders, of Stratford, Conn., is the only player in UConn’s history to captain both the baseball and basketball teams. Penders, who went to UConn from 1964 to 1967, is entering his 36th year in coaching and sixth at UH.

All not so quiet in AD search

Local media outlets are reporting the search for the next Athletics Director has been narrowed to six candidates.

While university officials wouldn’t comment on the search, local station KRIV Channel 26 has gone one step further, naming current Akron AD Mack Rhoades as one of those final six. Rhoades has served in his current capacity since 2005. Prior to his arrival in Akron, he spent seven years at Texas-El Paso.

UH has contracted Parker Executive Search to handle the search.

Track sends three more to NCAA’s

The track and field team will send three more of its members to the NCAA championships, June 10-13 in Fayetteville, Ark.

In addition to Seun Adigun, Ivan Diggs and Chris Carter – who all earned automatic bids to nationals – UH will be represented by Tyron Carrier in the men’s 200 meters, Brittani Williams in the women’s javelin and Grecia Bolton in the women’s 200 meters. The trio was granted at-large bids to the competition after failing to qualify for an automatic bid at the NCAA Midwest Regional earlier this month.

Pair receives academic awards

Defensive tackle Jake Ebner and goalkeeper Shelby Scott were announced as the recipients of the Conference USA Scholar-Athlete Award for football and soccer, respectively.

The seniors leave UH after making numerous appearances on the C-USA award scene during their career.

In 2008, Ebner was named to the C-USA Football All-Academic Team and was honored with the Robert L. Grainger Outstanding Leadership Award. He has also twice been named to the ESPN the Magazine All-District 6 First Team.

Scott finished her career as a two-time member of the ESPN the Magazine All-District 6 First Team and a three-time member of the C-USA All-Academic Team. She holds team records for saves (304), shutouts (14) and wins (20).