Adigun, Diggs cap careers at NCAAs

Senior Seun Adigun finished her stellar collegiate career with a third-place showing in the women’s 100-meter hurdles at the NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships.

Adigun clocked 13.20 seconds while running in a headwind Saturday at John McDonnell Field in Fayetteville, Ark. after posting 12.91 to win Thursday’s semifinal heat.

Adigun leaves UH as one of the greatest hurdlers in school history, garnering numerous awards during her career, including the 2009 Conference USA Female Track Athlete of the Year and U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association All-America honors.

Adigun will continue to train with the Nigerian national team this summer. As she departs, there is no shortage of new talent for her to pass the baton to and continue the programs’ winning tradition.

Freshman Grecia Bolton is evidence of the young talent, joining Adigun as an All-American. Bolton’s first trip to the NCAA Championships was a success, as she advanced to the women’s 200-meter semifinals.

Sophomore Chris Carter finished 10th in the men’s triple jump, clearing 15.95 meters (52 feet, 3.95 inches) in the finals. He was unable to build on the momentum from the preliminary round, when he cleared 16.29 meters (53 feet, 5.33 inches).

Carter ranked seventh in the nation in the triple jump after his 16.20-meter (53 feet, 1.8 inches) clearance in the Midwest Regional. That leap earned Carter his second consecutive trip to the NCAA Championships.

While Adigun was ending her collegiate career on a high note, the same couldn’t be said for senior Ivan Diggs.

After rebounding from a leg injury, which caused him to miss the entire 2008 season, Diggs rolled into the NCAA Championships. But Diggs tweaked his calf Thursday during the men’s high jump preliminaries. He closed out a wonderful collegiate career with a mark of 2.10 meters (6 feet, 10.68 inches), good enough for a tie for 11th in the finals.

Diggs was named an NCAA All-American in 2007 after finishing eighth in the high jump at the NCAA Championships, clearing 2.20 meters (7 feet, 2.61 inches) for a personal best at the time.

Junior Brittani Williams finished 13th in the women’s javelin, hurling 48.04 meters (157 feet, 7.34 inches). Williams joined Bolton as the only Cougars making their first appearances at nationals.

Along with sophomore Tyron Carrier, who also competed, Bolton, Carter and Williams gave fans a glimpse of what’s to come next year.