Frontiersmen displaying ‘The Pride’ for Cougars

They stand out on game days with the distinct western garb of khaki dusters, Wranglers and cowboy hats and boots.

Present at every football game, the Frontiersmen serve as an image of pride and tradition for the University. | Pauline Alderete/The Daily Cougar

They sound the deafening siren and sprint down the field waving a Texas and UH flag following each score.

They are the Frontiersmen and serve as a walking resemblance of Cougar pride.

“We try to do lead the student body and encourage them to participate in the games,” Frontiersmen President Kelly Waterman said. “It’s like a visual embodiment of school spirit. It’s a link to the past, and everything we do is steeped in tradition.”

The group was established in 1948 to promote school pride and to assist with Frontier Fiesta. When Frontier Fiesta was scrapped in 1959, so were the Frontiersmen. When the event was resurrected in 1992, so were the Frontiersmen.

The name of the siren is “The Blaze.” It is named for David Blazek, a loyal supporter of the University who died in 1991. The Blaze was introduced in 1990 when Heisman Trophy winning quarterback Andre Ware and then-football coach John Jenkins, thought the football team lacked a symbol. With Houston’s affiliation to the oil industry, it was decided an oil field siren would be blared after every UH score.

“Being on the field, you really get a good feel of what the stadium is like,” Waterman said. “You can see the participation of the fans from all angles. Being down there, you really feel what the team is feeling. Whenever the guys on the field hear that siren go off, it’s like a pat on the back. When they see the flags go across the field it’s not only a celebratory thing, but it’s also congratulatory to the players.”

The criteria to be a Frontiersmen is to demonstrate leadership on campus. Welcome Wilson, former chairman of the UH System Board of Regents, once suited up in the Frontiersmen uniform.

“Show your pride,” Waterman said. “Get involved on campus. We want leaders, and we want people who love the school. Our guys wouldn’t get caught dead wearing another school’s colors. We try to recruit people who have proven leadership. We’re not looking for people wearing UT or A&M shirts. That’s great if you want to wear that … but we’re looking for people who are proud to be Cougars.”

With increased interest in athletics along with the push for Tier 1 status, the Frontiersmen are hoping to usher in a new era at UH. Waterman said he feels Cougar fans were always capable of the camaraderie shown this year.

“I don’t think it’s a new enthusiasm,” Waterman said. “I think it’s been there all along. It maybe wasn’t as great as it is now, but I can’t say it’s never been there before. The Unversity is on the cusp of Tier 1 and has big pushes academically and for athletics. More people are realizing what the University has to offer.”