Health Expo serves UH, Houston community

Roughly 200 students from the UH pharmacy department, Spanish for the Global Professions and Delta Omega Chi will be volunteering for the American Diabetes Health Expo Saturday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the NRG Park Hall B.

The departments will be expecting 8,000 attendees and will be offering 13 different types of screenings. The event will also include special guests Cedric the Entertainer, Sierra Sandison, Chef Leticia and Dominique Wilkins giving testimonies.

“This event targets everyone no matter age, gender, or race,” Instructional Assistant Professor María E. Pérez said. “It will show people what this screening and tools can really help.”

According to one of the participants, sophomore Jennifer Luna, this is a fortunate opportunity.

“These screenings cost a lot of money in clinics and hospitals and they are being offered for free here,” said Luna. “I hope that people will learn that their health is important.”

Hispanic studies seniors Jessica Huamán and Ana Laura Gonzalez will be helping to translate and interpret any questions and concerns anyone might have while attending the event.

“If people do not speak English they cannot get their concerns or questions across,” said Gonzalez. “Their children may not know how to ask a question.”

For students like junior volunteer Daniela Velazquez and natural science and mathematics senior Stephen Phan, this opportunity serves as an excellent experience to practice for their futures in the medical field.

Dedication lies in many of the participants whether it is to experience this event for self-benefit or to make a difference in the life of another.

“Doing these screenings will help show people that they could be at risk for diabetes,” Pharmacy sophomore Katrina Watson said. “You may think that you are living the healthiest life, but once you see the numbers through the screenings you may see a different view point, which is important.”