Get your feet wet: Summer preview

by CAITLIN CUPPERNULL The Daily Cougar

Summer is finally here. And while it’s a relief to not worry about deadlines, homework and tests, sleeping until 3 p.m. loses its charm after the first two weeks. Finding ways to fill the longer (and hotter) days of these coming months can be difficult, but instead of laying around on our sorry excuse for a beach, check out the wide range of exhibits, concerts and festivals Houston has to offer.

Exhibits:

Forgers, Frauds, ‘ Pirates: Faking the Book

Spanning 400 years, the exhibit features forged and fraudulent historical documents and the sinister stories behind them.

On display through September 30 at The Museum of Printing History, 1324 West Clay St. Admission is free.

Brett Weston: Natural Abstractions

Brett Weston first began taking photographs in Mexico at the age of 14 while working for his father, photographer Edward Weston. This collection of more than 250 black-and-white photographs focuses on abstract elements and forms found throughout nature.

On display June 9 through Sept. 3 at The Museum of Fine Arts’ Audrey Jones Beck Building, 5601 Main St. Admission is $7.

Imperial Rome

It may not have been built in a day, but you can learn about it in a day from this comprehensive exhibit. Numerous artifacts offer viewers a glimpse of the rise and fall of this infamous empire.

On display through July 29 at The Houston Museum of Natural Science, 1 Hermann Circle Drive. Admission is $9 for students and $15 for adults.

Miguel Angel Rios: Aqu’

Video installations and large-scale drawings and photographs make up this exhibit, in which artist Miguel Angel Rios explores the themes of games, human nature and perception.

On display through July 28 at the Blaffer Gallery, 120 Fine Arts Building. Admission is free.

Festivals:

Houston Shakespeare Festival

Add some sophistication to your summer by spending an evening outside with Shakespeare. The annual festival brings Love’s Labor’s Lost and Romeo and Juliet to the stage this year.

Love’s Labor’s Lost 8:30 p.m. July 27, Aug. 2, 4, 8, 10 Romeo and Juliet 8:30 p.m. July 28, Aug. 1, 3, 9, 11 All performances will be at the Miller Outdoor Theatre, 100 Concert Drive. Admission is free.

Juneteenth

Numerous events are held to commemorate June 19, 1865: the day Texas was notified of the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation. Originating in Galveston, parades and picnics mark the occasion by the beach, while jazz, blues and gospel performances take place at the Miller Outdoor Theatre. No matter which location you choose, be sure to celebrate this historic event.

Pride Parade and Festival

With performances, booths and a parade, this annual event celebrates the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community.

2 p.m. June 23 at Commonwealth Avenue and Westheimer Road. Parade begins at dusk.

MUSIC:

Video Games Live

The Houston Symphony performs the music of video games to coordinated lighting and video at this unique concert. A costume contest, games and prizes add some variety to the typical symphony experience. Take a break from actually playing the games and just sit back and listen.

7:30 p.m. July 13 and 14 at Jones Hall, 615 Louisiana St. For ticket prices, visit www.houstonsymphony.org

Norah Jones, M. Ward

Relax to the sultry voice of jazz singer Norah Jones with opening act M. Ward. Ward accompanied Jones with backing vocals and guitar on her album Not Too Late.

7:30 p.m. June 12 at Jones Hall, 615 Louisiana St. For ticket prices, visit www.ticketmaster.com

Battles

Battles brings math rock to Houston. Check out their performance to witness more rhythm and tempo changes in one song than you’ll find on most albums.

8 p.m., June 23 at Numbers, 300 Westheimer Road. For ticket information, visit www.pegstar.net

The Police

The Police return with their first tour in 23 years – don’t miss it.

7:30 p.m., June 29 at the Toyota Center. For more information, visit www.houstontoyotacenter.com

Beyonce

If you missed her at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, here’s a second chance. The Grammy award winner finds time while on a world tour to make a stop in her hometown.

7:30 p.m., July 14 at the Toyota Center. For more information, visit www.houstontoyotacenter.com