Parking lot to shut down

Commuters looking for convenient parking near Melcher Hall will soon have to look elsewhere.

The UH Department of Parking and Transportation said that Lot 19A will close for the construction of a loft complex intended for professional and graduate students that is scheduled to begin later in the summer.

"The construction of the Calhoun Lofts will eliminate approximately 640 student parking spaces," Director of Parking and Transportation Services Robert J. Browand said.

Approved by the Board of Regents last November as part of the University’s master plan to improve the campus, the building, which will feature more than 700 apartments, will cost an estimated $96 million to construct.

Student parking will be minimally impacted by the closure during the summer, Browand said, although pedestrian and vehicle traffic will be disrupted by construction in the area. Parking for students who usually park near Melcher Hall will be redirected to other parts of campus, such as the Parking Garage or Lot 20A, located along Calhoun Road.

Staff and faculty Lot 19D will also be closed for the summer, although it will reopen once the lofts are finished.

"There should be little parking impact over the summer months, as there is enough parking to meet demand," Browand said.

The UH shuttle route will be modified along the northeast side of campus, he said, so that it will not interfere with construction. Off-campus parking serviced by the shuttle system could also be created, but no plans have been officially made.

Work on the Calhoun Lofts began last month with the relocation of oak trees from the site to Calhoun Road. Utilities and foundation will be laid later this month, with full-scale construction slated to commence in August.

Last month, the Board also approved for a new lecture hall to be located next to the Bauer College of Business.

The building, to be named in honor of Regent Michael J. Cemo, will feature a writing center, a testing facility and a career services center, as announced at the last Board of Regents meeting on May 17.

The project will cost $9 million, of which Cemo donated $3 million as a gift to the University.

The Calhoun Lofts are scheduled for completion by August 2009, and construction on Michael J. Cemo Hall is scheduled to start early next year.

"This versatile building will redefine the northeast quadrant of the campus," Associate Vice Chancellor and Associate Vice President for Plant Operations Dave Irvin said. "It will play a major role in projects directly connected to the campus master plan."