Police actions are more than just routine

For some reason the media chooses to label the traffic stops conducted by police officers as "routine." It is usually heard as the following: "Officer shot during routine traffic stop," or "Accident occurs during routine traffic stop," or any number of misfortunes that may occur during the course of one of these traffic stops, which are anything but routine.

Granted, there are aspects of law enforcement that are routine, such as showing up for work each day, clocking in and out of a shift, getting into a patrol car and hitting the streets. But this is where most (if not all) of the routine ends.

Every traffic stop is different – even though the offenses for which the drivers were stopped for may be ones that frequently occur.

The driver could be a sweet, old lady who was not aware she was going so fast, or it could be a man with warrants who does not want to go back to jail.

If the driver is hostile, the officer will exert his authority so that he maintains control of the situation should it get out of hand; if the driver is cordial and acts in a respectful manner than the officer will (hopefully) respond in a kind manner.

Police officers do not work in a perfect world. If they did, carrying a firearm and wearing body armor would not be a job requirement. Law enforcement officers are trained to deal with various situations that might occur, but they are also trained so that they can respond appropriately should a situation arise what was not covered in the academy.

When an officer is shot or even killed during a traffic stop, adding the word "routine" belittles what these brave men and women choose to do as their vocation. The rigorous application and screening process before an applicant is accepted as a cadet in a law enforcement academy insures those suitable for the profession begin the training.

And when an officer is shot or killed during the course of performing his job, his family mourns, along with everyone in and connected to law enforcement. Try telling a grieving widow that her husband died during a routine event.

If only the media could drop the "routine" from their coverage of uniformed officer-involved incidents, the public might be able to see that each occurrence is different and required a distinctive response.

What adds to this perception is making law enforcement entertainment with the advent of such shows as The World’s Wildest Police Chases. The public then places less value on what officers do since these programs showcase police work with a Wild West mentality. In turn, officers are seen as performers and not law enforcers.

There is nothing customary in walking up to the side of an unknown driver’s window during a traffic stop. Officers know this and so should the media.

Lopez, an English senior, can be reached via [email protected]