Student forum to enhance programs

As part of the Quality Enhancement Plan for UH, academic departments are getting student feedback on how to better improve services and courses currently offered.

Over 20 students from the School of Theatre and Dance attended a forum Tuesday at the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Center to give administrators input about available classes and current faculty.

Administrators said they hope these student discussions will help guide the University to implement changes to add undergraduate research into each college’s core and major-related courses, as well as creating new programs, Veronique Tran, director of Special Projects for QEP, said.

"With this effort, we’re trying to understand from the student’s point of view – what they think will make an impact," she said. "We’re trying to improve the learning experience for them through these different initiatives."

This forum was one of 16 done by other UH colleges on campus since September from different colleges, including the Cullen College of Engineering, the C.T. Bauer College of Business and the Honors College. Individual academic departments also wanted to participate and to get student feedback on specific majors, Tran said.

Student participation has varied among the different colleges. Though from different departments, students have been helpful in creating a "commonality" of new ideas on what each program should add or improve upon, she said.

"We’ve had some really good conversations with students," Tran said. "They’re really active and lively. They really get into it because it’s their chance to voice their concerns."

Many theatre and dance students suggested expanding the resources available to them, such as computer labs with Internet access, a library of movies and plays and other equipment. Students also mentioned having a study area.

"We have a table in a hallway. We just need a place to sit down," said theater sophomore John DeLoach.

Theatre and dance students also asked UH to consider the number of professors and classes. Currently, two faculty members are dance professors while eight other faculty members are adjunct professors that teach a combined total of 14 classes this semester.

"A lot of our professors are stretched thin, so more professors and classes would help," said theater senior Pam Hollenshead.

Some students have said their opinions did not affect any change in the past. Since students are directly affected by the changes, their ideas will be taken into consideration by the University, Tran said.

"I let the students know the information I’m collecting is getting compiled so I can send it to the dean of the college, the faculty and the University committee members," Tran said. "Their feedback will be heard."

The additions of research and research-related programs will be made in four levels of each college. Core, intermediate, advanced and co-curricular levels will include diverse research opportunities for students, Tran said.

"The University is committed to investing funds to help develop new programs or to enhance courses. It is a comprehensive effort because we’re trying to involve the whole community," she said.

Existing research programs, such as the Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship Program, Provost’s Undergraduate Research Scholarship Program and Senior Honors Thesis Program, only affect a small proportion of undergraduates, she said.

"Probably less than 100 students can benefit from (those programs)," Tran said. "What we’re trying to do with the Quality Enhancement Plan is to really integrate research into the curriculum… so all undergraduates can learn these methods."

Students said they want to expose their career and "would like to have more real-world, hands-on experiences" so they can carry it into the future and "be able to apply what they learn," Tran said.

One idea was to have a senior showcase with opportunities for talent agents and guest viewers from various companies to come see their work.

"We have so many resources in the city that I don’t think are getting tapped into," said theatre junior Adam Sowers.

One student’s suggestion was to have guest performers or artists come speak to students "with more intimate interaction" like the television show Inside the Actors Studio, she said.

Working in multidisciplinary teams was another idea brought up by students because they will be working with people from varying backgrounds with different majors.

"There may be opportunities to involve students majoring in business as well," Tran said. "Similar multidisciplinary projects could be developed for other areas."

Many students appreciated how the University is giving them a chance to be heard and assuring them that it will lead to change.

"I really appreciate that they are listening to us," Hollenshead said. "Because I’ve been here and been in the program, I’m familiar with things I’d like to see changed that might help the incoming classes."

Student feedback will be combined with individual colleges’ proposals for change and will be submitted to the University’s committee for review "to help formulate a university plan," Tran said.

"We want to make sure students who leave UH are equipped with the skills they need to tackle the problems that they may face," she said.

Though students generally have a negative view of research, Tran encourages them to voice their opinions because she said it is not about "standing in a lab washing dishes or something."

"Once students realize research is used everywhere, it means more to them," she said.

Students who are interested in participating and sharing their thoughts can submit ideas and comments through www.sacs.uh.edu/qep_survey by Nov. 5.