Positions up for grabs in SGA election

Students seeking a position in the Student Government Association can run in the election this spring if eligibility requirements are met.

SGA Election Commisioner Josh Sarkar said one requirement for students interested in running in the spring election is good academic standing. Students running for a senatorial position must be enrolled in the college of their major and have a minimum grade-point average of 2.25.

Application submissions for students to run in the spring SGA elections began Wednesday.

The SGA Senate announced last week it will abolish the party system to encourage more students to be involved in the elections and to prevent incumbents from running unopposed.

"(There are) no party labels," Sarkar said, so students do not have to get involved with a party to run in the election.

According to a Senate bill approved last week, "all references to party affiliations (will) be eliminated from its Election Code."

The lack of party labels is meant to encourage more students to be involved in the elections, SGA President David Rosen said last week.

Students interested in applying for one of 35 senator positions or an executive seat as president or vice-president can fill out an application at the Dean of Students Office, located in Room 252 in the University Center or at the Campus Activities Office in Room 51 of the UC Underground.

Applications are due at 5 p.m. Feb. 27 in the SGA Office in Room 57, UC Underground.