Students support Clinton’s visit

Armed with markers, stencils, cardboard and a determination to see presidential hopeful Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., in the White House, the UH chapter of Hillblazers, a student organization, is showing its support for the candidate.

UH Hillblazers Executive Manager Dan Cato said he is excited for former president Bill Clinton’s visit to Houston at 8:45 p.m. tonight at Hofheinz Pavilion, which is why the group organized the poster-making meeting in the University Center Tuesday night.

"This is a huge event for our organization because we are the Hillblazers at the University of Houston," Cato said. "That’s very important for our image. I think this helps a lot of people get involved in the University and reminds them that this is a growing university [that’s] becoming more popular."

Cato encourages students to come out no matter what their stance on Hillary Clinton is and see the former president at tonight’s event, which does not require a ticket.

"He is the first two-term Democratic president since (Franklin Roosevelt). That’s pretty amazing," Cato said. "He’s a very popular president regardless of what his wife is doing now, and he was the president, so he still deserves a lot of respect for his position."

Along with the red and blue colored posters on the table Tuesday night, there was Democratic hope for the future.

"Our group isn’t just about campaigning for Hillary, it’s [about] trying to get students involved in politics. It’s something that’s very important for our future and for our children’s future," human development and family studies junior Amanda Iwinski said.

The group will have a table from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m today at the University Center to give out posters and information on the democratic process, Iwinski said.

"We will be campaigning for Hillary (and) also informing students on how to basically vote in a primary and a caucus," Iwinski said. "It’s just trying to get students involved in this election. That’s something that we’re also very passionate about."