Letters to the Editor: Students Against Sweatshops, presidential elections and more

Khator should take the time to hear student concerns

To the editor:

I’m a freshman at the University of Houston, and in my experience UH President Renu Khator is not†very open to students.

I tried to set up a meeting with her on a weekly basis, representing the student group United Students Against Sweatshops to discuss human rights issues that affect our UH garment workers, but I received no direct feedback.

Instead, I was redirected to the vice president of Student Affairs while this issue†is one that†can only be handled by the financial and administrative departments.

I thought maybe Khator hadn’t been informed of the reasons that I was attempting†to†meet with her, so I decided to peacefully wait for her in her waiting room to discuss this in person.

I was reading a book when administrative officials began heckling me and told me that it was impossible for me to meet with her that day. I said, "That’s all right, I’ll just wait here and read my book just in case."

Eventually the police were called.†They took me into their custody, escorted me from her office and informed me that if I ever enter Khator’s office without an invitation, I will be arrested.

I don’t understand how Khator can hear my input, as a student,†if I will get arrested for trying to talk†with her about human rights issues that concern me.

Brendan Laws

sociology freshman

Editor’s note: Director of University Communications Eric Gerber, speaking on behalf of the UH Police Department, said the police who responded asked Laws to leave the office to discuss his concerns and then directed him to Student Affairs. Gerber said it is common practice for officers to inform individuals that if they are asked to leave certain areas on campus and refuse they may be subject to a trespassing arrest.

Coverage of anti-sweatshop activists lopsided

To the editor:

I’m writing regarding the article "Students call on Khator to sign DSP," News, Tuesday. I think it is poor reporting when the reporter does not actually question anyone in the administration before writing the story. We sent a press release informing the citywide media and The Daily Cougar that United Students Against Sweatshop members from colleges across the country would be participating in a "phone bomb" Monday – that is calling, faxing and e-mailing throughout the day to Khator’s office; this was organized by members of our national office in Washington, D.C. who sent out an e-mail to thousands of USAS members.

The e-mail had a link to click, and a fax would be sent after the participant filled out their name and contact info.

USAS international campaign coordinator Zack Knorr informed us that more than 1,000 faxes were sent from their machine, yet your reporter just printed what he overheard office secretary Juany Jimenez telling us, "We had a couple phone calls, faxes and e-mails."

In addition to more than 1,000 faxes, many of our group at UH called every hour to Khator’s office.

Maybe next time the reporter could actually question someone in authority to determine what actually occurred.

Timothy O’Brien

Ph.D. student, history department

Founder, UH Students Against Sweatshops

Texas should vote Hillary on March 4

To the editor:

I would like to share my opinions about Sen. Hillary Clinton and encourage fellow students at the University of Houston to vote for her.

The Daily Texan at The University of Texas endorsed Hillary Clinton on Friday because it saw the quality of dedication to bring real change on the issues that young people care most about in Clinton, not Sen. Barack Obama.

As Clinton said in the last debate, actions speak louder than words, and it is evidenced by The Daily Texan’s endorsement.

It is also witnessed by her presence at the State of the Black Union. The other candidates were invited, yet she was the only one who cared enough to show up.

She had a chance to clarify in detail the differences between her health care plan and her opponent’s. ?Clinton’s plan covers everyone, and it allows us to keep our health insurance or switch to hers, so no one will be forced to pay if they can’t afford. Clinton has promised to restore government support to college students.

She advocates women’s rights, which all of her opponents fail to bring up. She is experienced with foreign policy and she is the best candidate who can clean up President Bush’s mess. Furthermore, Clinton is going to bring the troops home and provide stability for the Middle East.

I thank those who endorsed Clinton after examining the candidates’ positions and making a decision based on the issues. I hope The Daily Cougar does the same. Vote for Clinton in the primary, and attend your local precinct convention for Hillary on March 4.

Cheng-en Lee

biology freshmen

Sen. Clinton the right choice for America – and the paper, too

To the editor:

I am a biology sophomore at UH. I just want to ask if The Daily Cougar can endorse Sen. Hillary Clinton, for President.

I’m saying this because I see a lot of young students going for Sen. Barack Obama, because he is young, hip and a bring-about-change type of person. I want to let students know that Obama doesn’t have any experience to bring change. He can only make speeches, and speeches don’t put food on the plate.

Clinton has the experience necessary to fix America. Despite what people say about her, she goes to work every day for the American people and has done so for 35 years.

New York hasn’t seen better since she became a senator. I know that she can do the same for a diverse America.

I’m asking you to please endorse Clinton to show students at UH that she is the best candidate who is ready from day one.

Thanks for your time, and I hope you can make the right decision and not fall for speeches and rhetoric.

Binh Vu

biology sophomore