UH strides ahead in March for Babies

UH students will once again lace up their walking shoes and take a stroll in the name of healthy babies for the annual March of Dimes March for Babies.

Formally known as WalkAmerica, the March for Babies walk on campus will begin at 9 a.m. April 27 at Robertson Stadium.

Although there are three walk locations in Houston, UH has been a host site for more than 15 years, helping the city acheive the majority of the $3.2 million raised last year for the March of Dimes. Houston’s fundraising goal this year has increased to $3.6 million.

"March of Dimes is truly grateful to have the continued, unwavering support of the UH System as the host site for this most important event, to benefit all babies…our future students," said Ernestine Pina-Sandoval, Director, Communications and Marketing of the Texas March of Dimes Houston Division.†

Money raised by the march will go toward education, advocacy and research to help save babies’ lives.

Roughly 90 percent of all money raised comes from corporations that volunteer to help, Pina-Sandoval said.

"It’s not federally funded. It’s all about the community coming together to help raise a healthy child," Pina-Sandoval said.

The March of Dimes’ mission is to improve the health of babies by preventing birth defects and premature births, as well as lower infant mortality rates.

"The March of Dimes is inspired by all babies – those born healthy and those who need help to survive and thrive. Together they make up the millions of reasons behind the urgent mission of the March of Dimes, whose research and programs mean more babies are born healthy every day," Pina-Sandoval said.†

This year over 300 companies are supporting the walk, and 45,000 people are expected to participate; many of whom are UH alumni, Pina-Sandoval said.

The March of Dimes is also excited about UH President Renu Khator’s scheduled appearance at the march.

"The opportunity for the new UH President Renu Khator to address the largest March for Babies event in the nation – right here in Houston on the UH main campus will be both memorable and impressive," said Pina-Sandoval.†