Staff editorial: Report card likes wage hike, wary of steroids tests

Minimum wage increase: B

Today marks the second of three planed increases in the federal minimum wage, stirring controversy on whether the government should raise the rate during an economic recession.

After increasing to $5.85 per hour in 2007, the rate will jump to $6.55 today and up to $7.25 in 2009 (see story, Page 1).

However, even with the increase, a full-time, minimum-wage worker will still earn below the poverty line for a household of two, according to CNNMoney.com.

Although businesses are concerned they will have to deal with higher wages, it is the consumers who will likely feel the hike in costs, as products will cost more to compensate for paying employees.

The pressure of inflation already rests on the economy and doesn’t appear to be going away soon. Prices will be increasing whether minimum wage changes or not, making the increase that much more important for those who are already struggling to get by.

Those who make minimum wage are not living lavish lifestyles, but usually spend their paychecks paying for food, shelter and gas. They could use all the help they can get.

High school drug testing: C+

In the ongoing struggle to keep drugs out of the sports arena, Texas had only two high school athletes test positive for unauthorized substances Wednesday, The Houston Chronicle reported.

Tests were done at 195 state schools and tested 6,455 boys and 3,662 girls, making it the nation’s largest steroids testing program. Taxpayers will pay $6 million for the two-year program, which has been debated by lawmakers since the plan was under consideration – and for good reason.

Although only two athletes failed, four tests were unresolved, three refused it, one left without approval and 18 missed the test, according to the University Interscholastic League.

Making matters worse, the random testing was a little too arbitrary in that it tested 277 male tennis players but only one male powerlifter – a sport that is much more apt to using muscle-enhancing drugs.

The testing is definitely a good thing, but the manner in which it is done needs to be corrected. It is great to see that only two athletes failed the test, but it’s the students that are slipping through the cracks that need to be found and dealt with. As long as there is a way around the testing, the abusers will find them.