Coleman captures Player of Week honor

Guard Aubrey Coleman earned Conference USA Player of the Week honors on Monday after recording back-to-back double-doubles against Central Florida and Rice last week.

The award is Coleman’s first Player of the Week honor, but he has also received the league’s Rookie of the Week award four times this season.

Coleman averaged 28.5 points and 11 rebounds per game in the Cougars (14-7, 5-3 C-USA) victories over Central Florida (97-69) on Wednesday and Rice (72-65) on Saturday.

The junior totaled team-highs of 30 points and 10 rebounds against the Golden Knights and put up team-highs of 27 points and 12 rebounds in Houston’s win over the Owls. Coleman also shot 22 of 24 from the free-throw line in the two-game span.

Coleman is UH’s leading scorer and ranks third in scoring in C-USA, averaging 20 points per game. He stands at No. 4 in the conference in rebounding with 8.2 boards per contest. No one else in the conference ranks in the top four in both categories.

Since Jan. 6, Coleman is averaging 23.8 points, 8.8 rebounds and 3.1 assists per game. He’s also shooting 43.6 percent from the field this season and 79.6 percent from the charity stripe.

Coleman has been Houston’s leading scorer and rebounder in the last three games.

The Cougars continue their schedule with a game against Southern Methodist in Dallas at 7 p.m. Wednesday.