C-USA Notebook: Conference names top athletes of 2008-09

Conference USA commissioner Britton Banowsky announced Wednesday the recipients of the 2008-2009 C-USA Athletes of the Year, with Rice pole-vaulter Jason Colwick winning on the men’s side.

Tulane volleyball player Sara Radosevic and East Carolina pitcher Toni Paisley shared the women’s honor. This marks the first time that there have been co-recipients on the women’s side, and ends a two-year run of UH women winning the award.

Colewick is the first C-USA track and field athlete to win national titles in the pole vault at the NCAA Indoor and Outdoor Championships.

Paisley was the C-USA Pitcher of the Year and tied Southern Miss’ Courtney Blades record for Pitcher of the Week awards with seven in 2009. Radosevic led the Green Wave to its first C-USA Championship and was named the Tournament MVP.

Marshall names interim AD
Marshall University has promoted associate athletics director for finance David Steele to interim athletics director. Steele replaces the recently retired Bob Marcum while the university searches for a permanent replacement.

UCF goalkeeper makes Brazilian National Team
Aline Reis has been named to the Brazilian National Team for women’s soccer after her stellar freshman season. The All-American will join FIFA’s second-ranked squad July 6 in time for the South American Women’s Championship, which places two teams in the 2011 FIFA World Cup in Germany.

Pair of C-USA stars selected in NBA Draft

Central Florida’s Jermaine Taylor and Alabama-Birmingham’s Robert Vaden were selected in the second round of the National Basketball Association Draft, 32nd and 54th overall, respectively.

Taylor becomes only the second player in school history to be taken in the NBA Draft and was selected by the Washington Wizards before being traded to the Houston Rockets.
The Charolette Bobcats picked Vaden and shipped him to the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Rice freshman receives national honor

Anthony Rendon has been named National Freshman of the Year by Baseball America after a magnificent freshman campaign.

The award is just the latest in a series of recognitions given to the third baseman, including being a semifinalist for the Dick Howser Trophy and Golden Spikes Award. Rendon also became the first player in C-USA history to be named both Player of the Year and Freshman of the Year in the same season.