UH NOTEBOOK: Diver wins, freshman forward loses

Yulia Pakhalina, former UH diver and Olympic gold medalist, won the gold medal in women’s 1-meter springboard diving at the FINA World Aquatics Championships last weekend. The win marks her first gold medal in major international competition since 2000.

Pakhalina led the five-dive final from start to finish, amassing 325.05 points to earn the first.

Pakhalina joined the Cougars after winning gold in 3-meter synchronized diving for Russia at the 2000 Sidney Olympics. Her partner was former UH volunteer coach Vera Ilyina.

During her distinguished collegiate career, Pakhalina won numerous individual titles, including NCAA titles in 1-meter and 3-meter springboard diving in 2001. Those championships made her the first UH diver to accomplish both since 1980.

In 2002, she repeated as 3-meter national champion, but finished second in the 1-meter. She was also named Conference USA Diver of the Year and Diver of the Meet at the 2002 C-USA Championships.

Bad break for basketball

Incoming freshman forward Kendrick Washington will be sidelined two to three months after sustaining hairline fractures in both shins.

The injury came to light after the 6-7 Washington said he was experiencing pain for 10 days. Head coach Tom Penders said a surgery to insert titanium rods should prevent any recurring aggrivation.

Penders expects Washington to be ready for preseason practice in October, or at the least by the beginning of the season in mid-November.