Guys need to get in touch for Valentine’s Day

Valentine’s Day is Sunday, and most men already have an idea of how they’re going to celebrate.

Some will take their valentine out to a romantic dinner, or perhaps will surprise them with a bouquet of flowers.

But every year, many guys for one reason or another choose not to celebrate Valentine’s Day.

They come up with excuses such as, “I don’t believe in Valentine’s Day — it was created by the corporations,” or, “My girlfriend/wife/mistress doesn’t want me to waste money on presents.”

Fellas, trust me when I say this: it’s a special day, and your lady is definitely expecting some kind of gift.

Now I’m not saying that everyone needs to go out and buy something expensive; many women are more impressed by a guy who is imaginative enough to create a unique gift (not all women want the exact same gift every one of their friends received). Nor am I saying you can get away with writing your valentine a haiku, but perhaps something as simple as putting together a photo album of the two of you would do the trick.

This is the first Valentine’s Day my wife and I will be spending together as a married couple, and I know if I don’t deliver with the goods, sleeping on the couch is the best scenario I can hope for. As we could certainly be classified as “poor” by some standards, I spent a great deal of time racking my brain trying to come up with a plan to celebrate the day without spending too much money.

While I won’t disclose what I came up with for fear of my wife reading this article, I will say that I feel confident about how well my gift will go over with her.

There are an infinite amount of simple ways to show that special someone in your life just what they mean to you. To anyone out there who touts the virtues of not celebrating the single day out of the year devoted to cherishing a loved one, you should rethink your stance on rebelling against the system by not participating.

And if you are indeed one of the many who takes a pessimistic view of Valentine’s Day, think of it this way: after Sunday, you’ll get 364 days of reprieve before the next one.

Alan Dennis is a communication senior and may be reached at [email protected]