Crime

Campus and Houston police searching for robbery suspect

Investigators have a significant lead in their search for a suspect in the Friday aggravated robbery of three UH students.

Officials, however, could not comment on what specifically that information was, due to the sensitivity of the case.

“We received some information that we think will be quite helpful,” UH Police Lt. Brett Collier said. “So our investigators will be working with HPD.”

Normally, the Houston Police Department handles off-campus issues, but in this case campus police will be working in conjunction with HPD because they responded to the call and initially handled the situation.

The incident occurred on Friday night around 11:30 p.m. at the 5000 block of Calhoun. The students were crossing the street from Cougar Village to the Bayou Oaks apartments.

A male passenger in a white Chevrolet Tahoe stopped them. The suspect exited the vehicle, displayed a semi-automatic pistol and told the complainants to drop their purses and cell phones. The complainants complied and ran to Bayou Oaks and contacted police.

Collier praised the complainants for how they handled the situation.

“The students involved did everything right in this case,” Collier said. “They did everything that we would advise, and they immediately contacted the police.”

The complainants were not injured during the incident.

The security alert issued by campus police describes the main suspect as a medium-build black male between the ages of 20-25. The complainants described the suspect being from 5 feet 7 inches to 5 feet 9 inches.

The suspect was wearing a black ski mask and hooded sweatshirt and dark blue jeans.There is no description offered for the driver of the vehicle.